Does it worth?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by cyberghoser1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. cyberghoser1 macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Hello folks, i am happy to join this community.

I have a current deal for an iBook G3 500MHz | 384MB RAM | HDD 15GB| Tiger 10.4.11 | Dual usb, firewire, Airport Wireless, i've just tested it and it is running nice and to browse the web its actually very good, youtube and flash seems to lack a lot but i rarely use those sites so i guess it is ok, so my question is does it worth 185 euros?

Thanks in advance.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

185 Euros = ~$275 USD

No, that is not worth it for a G3.

3. bmacir macrumors 6502

No way! 50€ at the most...

4. cyberghoser1 thread starter macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Thanks guys, i will not buy it, the funny thing is the seller told me the price is already very low and he doesn't wanted to lower it, lol.

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

they all say that :p
    it's always a good idea to check ebay or sites like that, or to come here, to get an idea on what price similar products are going for. Check and see that what this guy wants you to pay is way too much. He might not be trying to scam you deliberately, but he's none the less charging to much.

6. cyberghoser1 thread starter macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Finally i got it for 70 Euros, i always wanted to have one of those oldies, i am typing from it currently, airport works like a charm, tiger is running correctly and i was able to locate the 4 cd's version on the net and i can install/format anytime, for safari to be faster i use clicktoflash and web browsing is really good.

7. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

70 is a good deal for europe ...the americans usually can get 2 for the price we pay for one used mac , no dont get the idea shopping at ebay .com for mac`s ,the shipping cost make every saving nil, if you are lucky that is

8. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

I'm glad you got the iBook for a reasonable price. I still have my 12" 700mhz G3 iBook running Tiger, and it works very well for 90% of what I do on a daily basis. In many ways, I still prefer its compact form factor to the new Macbooks, although I do find it to be relatively heavy!

9. cyberghoser1 thread starter macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Yeah the iBook currently is good enough for surfing and check emails, although i had a hope to play some decent avi or divx they're kinda slow and choppy but i guess every 500MHz model is like that.

10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you can improve the divx /avi and youtube issues by choosing panther instead of tiger(tiger was never intended by apple to work in g3 processor mac`s ), choosing camino and there is a improved version of camino especially made for the G3 processor (google for it) , and install flashplayer 9 not 10
    and vlc player 0.8.6 i then you should see a improvement

at least i have noticed a huge improvment in my iMac g3

11. cyberghoser1 thread starter macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Thanks, i am aware that panther should run better on the G3 but to find it and in cd version is another story, even if i buy it its gonna be expensive i think, i will try however camino and old vlc to see if at this time i can watch a little better.

EDIT: I've found the panther 4cd version :)

12. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Thanks for the tip, I may try that out when I get home...

13. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

as you mentioned it , yes original panther disc`s are not cheap , usually about £30-40 , but there is a little trick to get them for nothing :eek:)
    i tell you how :
    go on ebay look for iMac g3 `s and pick one with the retail panther disc`s included ,lots sell them when theyfeel they dont need panther any more as they are using now a imac 27 or so ,
    then you get for the same price of the disc`s a cute little imac on top of it
    cant make a better deal , and quiet often you even get additional software too :D

14. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

Clever! For a moment, after reading the first line, I thought you were about to venture into some shady territory! :p

15. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

no shady territory here

i allways look what do i get with the mac , as some of the software is quit expensive if you have to buy it afterwards, so its worth to pay a little bit more for the mac if it comes with app cd`s and operating system cd`s, and some are not that easy to get too ,

16. cyberghoser1 thread starter macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Thanks for all the info my friend, but i was lucky yesterday i could locate the 4cd's panther and i got it now, however i used a g3 optimized camino and safari with clicktoflash plugin is really faster on Tiger.But i will today try panther and see about avi/divx movies if i get a better result (with old vlc i guess cause perian is not well working with 10.3.x), as for memory i see that a pc100 512mb ram is really expensive like 75$, God i paid only 20$ for a 1GB module for my netbook.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's because the memory is leftover and was quite expensive to make. Sucks that way, new memory is cheaper than older stuff.

18. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Not necessarily. Assuming you can get it shipped to you, this isn't so bad for a 512mb stick. I've never had problems with RAM from these guys.

19. cyberghoser1 thread starter macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Thanks indeed that one is cheaper than this one.

20. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i bought my kensington 512 mb ram for the imac g3 at ebay
    for £1.99 plus £ 2 for shipping
    ok its used ram but works fine and for that price was worth the gamble

21. cyberghoser1 thread starter macrumors member

cyberghoser1

Since you bought it there and the seller is reliable can you give me a link to it please? Thanks!

22. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

have send you a pm , its a private seller , does not look like a business and at the moment he has no ram but a os 9 cd

23. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I think the price is too high,but it depends on the country...
    Here in portugal 185/200eur is what you pay for an ibook g3 800MHz/640MB/DVD good state...
    In fact I gave 200eur for mine about 6months ago I think..
    In my opinion it is better to give a little more and go for the g4 or for a white macbook...white macbooks are almost @the same price of g4 powerbooks here :S