Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WindoraBug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Does the iTunes 7.4.2 (released on Monday) relock an unlocked iphone (I used iPhoneSimFree)? I thought only a firmware update would relock the phone... But I also thought I read somewhere, that the update relocked a phone that was on unlocked on Rogers(in Canada).

I unlocked my girlfriends phone to work on T-Mobile and dont know what this iTunes update will do to it. She refused to switch to AT&t, like I did... I would like to update iTunes for my iPhone, but I don't want to mess up hers.

Any help please...

Also, on a side note... When we got her phone to work, the EDGE was not working. So, she called T-Mobile to see if she had the right data plan setup. During this conversation with T-Mobile she told them that she was using an iPhone, and they freaked out! They put her on hold and got a manager on the phone. She told her she was the first to call them with a working iPhone on T-Mobile and said they would give her a discount on the data plane. I'm not sure the exact price of the plan but I think she is only paying $5.00!
They were very excited!

alljunks

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
i dont think so... the iphone firmware that is coming out might lock it.....not the itune!!

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
The only thing people have reported with iTunes 7.4.2 is that Apple broke the user-created ringtones.

...not upgrading over here!

--DotComCTO

eddiebrock

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Also, on a side note... When we got her phone to work, the EDGE was not working. So, she called T-Mobile to see if she had the right data plan setup. During this conversation with T-Mobile she told them that she was using an iPhone, and they freaked out! They put her on hold and got a manager on the phone. She told her she was the first to call them with a working iPhone on T-Mobile and said they would give her a discount on the data plane. I'm not sure the exact price of the plan but I think she is only paying $5.00!
They were very excited!

This is awesome!!! This is like the third or fourth testimonial I've seen from people that T-Mobile customer service has been either happy or in this case, even excited about the IPhone coming on their network. I think the discount you got was probably due to what they saw as their ability to retain customers and not lose them to AT&T. Because of your loyalty to T-Mobile when you had the opportunity to switch networks, they hooked you up.

Although they are happy to tell you how to set up the 5.99 T-Zones plan on your IPhone too.

MattOnDemand

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Hey guys, new to the forums.

How does Apple update the iPhone?
Are the firmware updates automatic, or does it give you a warning saying "There's new updates..." and you can choose to update it or not...

I only ask because I'm thinking of getting one this weekend in Buffalo, then unlocking for use here in southern Ontario.

Another question, I read somewhere that it's sync-only as it pertains to the iPod functions...is this true? Can I not pick and choose what content I want on the iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Hey guys, new to the forums.

How does Apple update the iPhone?
Are the firmware updates automatic, or does it give you a warning saying "There's new updates..." and you can choose to update it or not...

I only ask because I'm thinking of getting one this weekend in Buffalo, then unlocking for use here in southern Ontario.

Another question, I read somewhere that it's sync-only as it pertains to the iPod functions...is this true? Can I not pick and choose what content I want on the iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

The iPhone updates will come down the pipe and your computer/iTunes software will recognize that they are available and prompt you to install them. So you have the option to ignore them if you choose.

Craig

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I missed this one in my other response...

You can choose what you want on your iPhone however it has to be done through syncing with iTunes. Its not "drag and drop" like iPods.

Craig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.