Does iTunes feel too big?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by liptonlover, Apr 25, 2009.

1. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I love the idea of a one-stop media center like iTunes, but as each new feature is added it just feels too big and slow to me now. It takes forever to open, it lags even when I just try scrolling through apps, it sends regular genius updates to Apple, it has a radio, ringtones, movies, tv shows, the list goes on. Does anyone else feel the same way?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

iTunes 8.1 update made things flllyyyyy. I would've agreed with you on the feature bloat thing before 8.1, but frankly, I can't fault iTunes now.

Also, you can head into Preferences and deselect the radio/DJ/movies etc to save room if that was bothering you.

What version are you using? And what are you running it on?

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

iTunes on macis generally a nice app, a bit bloated, but generally nice

iTunes on windows is a bloated, slow crap.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It's slow for me, but I'm assuming it's because I've got 600 albums, each with 3MB album art.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Op, are you talking about Mac or Windows version?

The Mac version, is fast for me. The newest, as a bug or 2 like not wanting to open on occasion. But its speed is fine. I can no longer speak for the windows version, as I no longer have a Comp running it.

6. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I'm running it on XP Pro and have no complaints.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I kind of feel that way at times, but mostly listen to my music through my iPod so don't deal with iTunes besides the occasional sync. I've been using Mac for a number of years now and still miss Winamp. Probably the only thing I miss. In iTunes I've turned off a lot of the extras like the genius stuff, which doesn't even know what 99% of my music is anyways (the other 1% came from iTunes). Damn me and my eclectic tastes.

8. Macguy1138 macrumors newbie

It's Heaps Good

iTunes is great! When I used windows I had Windows Media Player and it was really slow and annoying, but with iTunes, it's the complete opposite! I love it! It may have heaps of seemingly useless features, but for some people I bet they use every single feature. Besides, you can just turn off various things that you don't use :D

Overall I'm VERY impressed with iTunes!

9. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

I feel the same way. It's almost like I have to use more muscles to drag the window of that app. I wish they would make an iTunes X which goes back to basics.

10. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

the latest releases of iTunes have been great.

11. Matek macrumors 6502a

So-So. It's much worse on Windows, but even on OS X, it's very choppy if i scroll through my library with covers displayed. And it's not that much at all, less than 30 GB.

12. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

It sounds like your tastes are eccentric rather than eclectic! :)

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think iTunes is too bloated for what it should be used for. iTunes should only be a music content player. I think that all movies, TV shows, applications, and ringtones should be organized in something like the media browser. Something like iMedia Browser, but it would also sync iPods and iPhones.

[​IMG]

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

iTunes' shortcomings are many, so I don't use it.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its definitely bloated so i trim it, stripping the UB & Languages with each update. I feel for those on windows though who have no choice but to deal with.

Its also not the fastest application...even at 8.1.1

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Probably a little bit of that too. A lot of my stuff is from Japan, which iTunes just doesn't seem to know about as well as a lot of video game-based music.

17. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

It can sometimes feel bloated, especially on older Macs. On a faster Mac it feels perfectly fine.

No, things like Songbird are bloated. Why do I need a web browser in a music player? I could understand it if it was removable but it's not and it makes it look ugly.

At least iTunes stays on track. It plays media, it doesn't browse the web (other than the iTS).

18. pflau macrumors 6502

iTunes is the only app that when I use it to play media on my MacBook makes the fan spin non-stop.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You should try scaling those down. I keep mine at 300 x 300 under 30k each.