Does iTunes Match = no skip limit in Radio?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ihonda, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ihonda macrumors 68000

simple question.. i thought i read before that there was no skip limit if you were signed up on itunes match but they does not appear to be working.. anyone else have it working?

2. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

Was wondering as well. Haven't tested in the GM but it didn't work in beta.

3. bniu macrumors 6502a

itunes match = no ads

skip limit is still there

4. kowen14 macrumors member

I thought I heard no skip limit also

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What is the skip limit? Miley Cyrus has a lot of songs in the iTunes Top 100.

6. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Supposedly yes.

I'm guessing if it's true, it might not be live until iOS 7 officially launches. I am an iTunes Match subscriber and I'm still getting those 5-second or so placeholder ads.

7. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I can confirm nor deny the # of songs you can skip. What I will say, however, is that I used to use iRadio quite a lot and skipped > 20 songs in the course of 5 minutes and had no issues.

8. SuburbanPauper macrumors newbie

No. You can only skip a total amount of 6 songs per hour, whether you have iTunes Match or not. iTunes Match will allow you to listen ad-free, however.

9. kre62 macrumors 68000

Skip limit is there. 6 songs per station.

However, like Pandora, if you hit the skip limit and switch to another station, you can skip 6 songs on the new station. So make 5 stations with similar bands = effectively no skip limit.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Don't have iOS7 but do have Maverick/Match and can confirm the same 6 skip limit is true.

You can also (in Mavericks) make identical multiple Stations .

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

There is a skip limit. If there is a work-around, please tell so.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Make another station w similar bands.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

So, if you make a custom station there is no skip limit?

14. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Yes, you still have a limit, but tr limit is per station so you get 6 more skips

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Installed iTunes 11.1 this morning and I can confirm there IS a skip limit even with iTunes Match.

Bummer really.

-Kevin

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you use iTunes iRadio you have a skip limit of 6 songs per hour, per Station.

17. Mums Suspended

Mums

I can guess at the limitations imposed on Apple by record companies, but the skip limit must be abolished if users are to have a satisfying experience.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

We have the skip limit because even if your music gets played for 30 seconds, while the person decides if they want to hear the rest, you're getting paid for it.

And it's "radio", you either switch the station, or live with having to listen to the song.

The $25 from everyone isn't going to help pay for the amount of tracks people AREN'T willing to listen to.

The best experience would be to just buy your own music, which is what Apple is REALLY trying to get you to do with iTunes Radio.

19. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

This skip limit is one of a few things keeping me on IOS 6, jail broke with the Pandora skip installed.:D

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ Agree. I have used it and like it but once I hit the skip limit, I switch to Pandora, where I've used it for much longer and thus have a better experience with it giving me songs I don't have to skip. Once I hit their skip limit, if I do, I switch to my music and stay there for the day.

Annoying really. I agree completely that skip limit needs to be removed.

----------

I understand that but why buy music through iTunes? There are way better and more cost effective options out there.

21. Mums Suspended

Mums

Typical corporate pseudo-logic attempting to justify an inferior product offering.

22. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

So what's a better product? Pandora has a 6 limit on skips also, if their is a better deal somewhere please share.

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Of course there is. I use eMusic and Amazon myself. But you know, Apple has a music store.

There is nothing inferior about buying music, other than the fact that you have to maintain it yourself. Set up something like Quik.io, do home sharing, stream it yourself. No ads, no skips, it's yours.

I did too much of playing the same music over and over than I did listening to new stuff, hence why I prefer the buying route. Pandora is good, but it tends to slip in new stuff that I otherwise wouldn't give a second look at, and I generally skip A LOT on it. Slacker just did too many repeats. iTunes Radio is better, but I could do most of what it does with a simple Genius Mix.

24. Mums Suspended

Mums

That's my point: Apple has always been about transparent superior products. Just because Pandora, Spotify, etc., go along with shady record company practices doesn't mean Apple has to - They're Apple for heaven's sake.