Does itunes modify the original files?

Chris230291

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
As the title might suggest, i would like to know if iTunes will or can replace the track info data on the original files?

If possible, i want to enable this so i can manually "fix" all of my music on the server. Then other devices will have the correct info and covers ect.

Thanks,
Chris

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As the title might suggest, i would like to know if iTunes will or can replace the track info data on the original files?

If possible, i want to enable this so i can manually "fix" all of my music on the server. Then other devices will have the correct info and covers ect.
If you're referring to the tags like Album, Artist, Track Number, etc., yes, modifying that info in iTunes does modify the file itself. The same is true if you manually add artwork.

Chris230291

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
If you're referring to the tags like Album, Artist, Track Number, etc., yes, modifying that info in iTunes does modify the file itself. The same is true if you manually add artwork.
Thanks. Is there any way to check this? I mean, is there like a setting some place?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks. Is there any way to check this? I mean, is there like a setting some place?
Check what? If you modify a tag in a music file, then move or copy that file to another computer and open it there, you'll see your modified information. iTunes has no place to store that info other than in the file itself.

Chris230291

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Arh Ok thanks. What about when you set tracks as an album or compilation ect, does that carry over?