Does iTunes music videos have DRM?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by secretpact, Feb 9, 2009.

1. secretpact macrumors 6502

Do music videos from iTunes have DRM? Meaning if I sent the video to my sister I'd have to authorize it on her computer.

2. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't say whether TV shows have DRM. Does anyone know anything about that?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

All TV shows and movies do. The "only" stuff on iTunes without DRM is the iTunes Plus stuff, which is only on music and music videos right now. I think it's March that ALL music and I believe all music videos will have no DRM.

But TV shows and movies, that'll stay that way. Prime reason why I don't buy many TV shows or movies from iTunes. DVD, anybody?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I prefer the DVD myself - they almost always have closed captions and I can play them either on my iMac or iBook or TV.

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

DVD:eek::eek::eek::eek: your in the stone age mate, Blu-ray is what you want :D

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I hate to burst your bubble, but Blu-ray IS DVD! Just a higher definition and different encoding/recording method. And it won't play on a Mac.

8. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Why would you want to watch BD on a Mac anyway? I prefer it on my HDTV not a monitor:eek:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you take the time to read the thread, the discussion is about DRM on a computer, not on a TV:

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I did but I was responding to another post not that one.

Edit: If you want me to reply I shall, not all Music Videos have DRM, some still do. I transferred one over (bought a couple of days ago) and I was told to authorise it so IDK.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I actually have a Blu-ray player and probably 30+ movies/TV shows, but I thought we weren't allowed to talk about Blu-ray on an Apple forum. I mean according to Cupertino, BD doesn't exist, right? :)

I should've said "I prefer discs that I can rip since Hollywood wants me to pay the same (or more!) for less on the iTunes store." I don't want just a 720x480 video file in one language for $15 when I can pay $17 for a new movie on DVD with subtitles, multiple audio (including DTS on many), and numerous extra features. For about another $10 over the $15 iTunes cost, I can get the new movie on Blu-ray with more than twice the resolution, way better sound, and tons of extras. I can't rip BDs on this, but I can use Netflix to rent what I own and stay in that legal grey area while having portable copies.

So basically my rant to Apple is to add BD support because most of us are not going to buy movies from iTunes just because we can't play a Blu-ray Disc on a Mac. Don't let some crap-ass HP computer out-tech you!

One point of information (yes, I am this AR): Blu-rays are NOT DVDs. There is no such thing as a "Blu-ray DVD." This makes as much sense as misnomering a DVD as a CD. DVD = digital versatile disc (not digital VIDEO disc as Jeopardy called it). CD = compact disc. BD = Blu-ray Disc. The only thing they all have in common is they are 5.25" optical discs. I know the poster knows all the tech behind them, so I won't go into it. I just felt like the need for a rant.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just KNEW someone was going to nitpick that comment! The point I was trying to make was the same as yours: buying physical disks vs downloading from iTunes. In that regard, Blu-ray is the same as DVDs... both physical disks.

13. inigel macrumors regular

inigel