Does iTunes now need to keep apps on my iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Oct 3, 2012.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have an iPad (used to have an iPhone), and obviously have loads of apps on my iMac.

I use iTunes for music, movies, apps etc and like it. However, every few days there are loads of app updates, as tbh iTunes is now used for streaming, to my Apple TV, iPad etc. I update the apps on my iPad direct, buy more on my iPad etc.

With all the apps available for re-download from iTunes store, why does iTunes in my iMac need to download and store them on my HDD?

eg if I needed to re-download an app, Its quicker to just get it direct from the iPad, than sync. Why does it need to stay on my iMac, could it not just have a link to the apps, rather than the full apps stored on there?

For music, yes I agree, it better on my iMac, as I can listen while I work, etc, but I cant use the apps on my iMac anyway so why should they be stored on there and take up space, when they are available in the cloud?

anyone?

2. mgdominguez macrumors newbie

Well, you have to keep in mind that iCloud syncing, backup and restore is rather new. Before your only option was to sync through iTunes so it made sense to have apps there.

I do see your point, and actually I have moved to iCloud completely for my iDevices, deleted all apps from iTunes and disable automatic download of new apps.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeh it just sort of clicked with me today. We don't need apps in our iTunes library now at all, its all in iCloud now isnt it.

As I say Music yes so I can listen on my iMac, but apps no.

So is it safe for me to just delete them all out of my iTunes library on my iMac, stop syncing of my iPad (how just for ops?), and stop auto download of apps if I buy on my iPad to my iTunes?

Will iTunes 11 be stopping this? letting us manage better in the cloud?

4. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

You might want to keep apps on your computer if you are running an older iOS device. I have kept my iPad 1 on iOS 4 for performance reasons. There are a lot of apps that have had their minimum iOS version raised above that, but can I still have an older version on my Mac (if I have automatic updating turned off).

And there are some apps it is good to have a backup of in case they disappear from the App Store.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

good points hadnt thought of that. I do have a couple of apps I remember getting that are no longer available, although dont really use them!

mmm not sure what to do now...