Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dizzy714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Hi,

Does the ATV 4k roller coaster resolutions/quality dependent on bandwidth, or does it lock into a resolution/quality and if there’s a bandwidth issue buffer until the bandwidth clears and then continue streaming in the highest resolution/quality? Not sure if this depends on streaming apps, but I’m mainly pertaining to iTunes movies. I know while using Chromecast that Netflix fluctuates the resolution on the fly rather than buffer if there’s bandwidth hiccups.

Is there a way to check the actual resolution/quality being streamed without a developer account? I believe that’s a feature on developer accounts, correct me if I’m wrong. When I cast content I’m always able to check the current resolution being streamed. But on a device like the FireTV it’s locked into a resolution, but will severely drop the stream quality when there’s a bandwidth hiccup yet it’s still locked into the ‘4k’ resolution without being able to check what quality it’s been dropped to. Just wanting to know if the Apple TV does this as well, or will always maintain the highest stream quality/resolution. Again, mainly pertaining to iTunes. This question stems from all of the 4k movies I’m watching, I’m always questioning if it’s locked into 4k throughout the entire stream or if there’s any quality dips during - for instance with Netflix it’s hard to tell when a stream drops from 4k to 1080p at times.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You do not need a developer account. Just a Mac, Xcode software and you can enable the hidden developer menu on appleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.