Does iTunes remember your past purchases?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by D-Love, Feb 9, 2008.

1. D-Love macrumors regular

I have a PC but will eventually move to a Mac. If I decide not to migrate from my PC and/or iPhone and start from scratch, will iTunes remember my account and what I downloaded so I can download the items again without paying for them?

2. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

no, back them up to disc. It will remember what you bought, but you will not be allowed to download them without re-purchasing, or doing a whole lot of begging to Itunes support.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

You can apparently redownload everything you ever bought once. But it's best used in an emergency. In thus case a backup of your files would be smarter.

Think of it this way. If you buy a CD then move house and leave it, do you expect the shop to give you another copy for free?

4. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh. I was hoping it would work like XBox Live, where if you get a new system (moved from a premium to an Elite)it remembers your past purchases and lets you re-download to the new system.

I don't really buy the whole "leaving a CD home and the shop giving you another one" thing. Thats apples and oranges as you never own a piece of physical property that takes time and resources to duplicate. Its a mere download of digital data. Each purchase is tied into an individual account, so they should give us the flexibility to either backup to a hard drive or re-download should we scrap out the old system for a new one. I'm sure they would like us to think that way tho, as it makes their jobs of controlling our digital content all the more easy for them. As it is, I'll make sure I back it up...I assume it will remember all the album artwork as well...

5. icecold0913 macrumors member

dude, just move your itunes folder to your new mac. all your songs, playlists and album art will be saved. it's not too big of a deal...