Does itunes still backup/restore app data?

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
In past upgrades to iPhones, I used iTunes to backup the old phone and transfer the data to the new phone. Does iTunes still do this? I remember reading it got rid of the app store so I was wondering about app backup/restore. Or should I migrate to iCloud?

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Just don’t update iTunes and you will be fine for a long time.
But afaik, yes, it still backups app data.

Btw I am on iTunes 12.6. No plan to update.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes. It's just more of a PITA now. It restores all your data and settings but then rather than just reinstalling apps that are stored on your Mac you have to re-download them on the phone itself.

But downloading the apps from your phone is necessary whether your backup is stored on iCloud or your computer. I prefer to keep it on my computer.
[doublepost=1509377583][/doublepost]
Just don’t update iTunes and you will be fine for a long time.
But afaik, yes, it still backups app data.

Btw I am on iTunes 12.6. No plan to update.
If you are restoring to a 2017 iPhone you have no choice. 12.6 doesn't support either the 8 or X.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Yes. It's just more of a PITA now. It restores all your data and settings but then rather than just reinstalling apps that are stored on your Mac you have to re-download them on the phone itself.

But downloading the apps from your phone is necessary whether your backup is stored on iCloud or your computer. I prefer to keep it on my computer.

If you are restoring to a 2017 iPhone you have no choice. 12.6 doesn't support either the 8 or X.
Okay, I guess I'll backup my 6s now using whatever version of itunes I have and then when I get the new phone, upgrade iTunes and restore.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015

Well, good that I have no plan for 8 or X or whatever they will call.