Does Jailbreak fix iPad from CDMA to GSM?

esgal838

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Hey guys, I'm really feeling a little desperate here. :( I just bought an iPad 2 today and the person who sold it to me assured me it has 3g. Once I got home I looked at it again and realize it has no SIM card slot like most do, although it does have the black strip at the top that other 3g Ipads do, which is what threw me off.

I checked and it's a Verizon 3G model that doesn't use SIM cards but only has coverage in the US. Since I live in Central America how in the world do I get this unlocked for regular GSM use, or is it not even possible. If it's hackable or jailbreak would do it then I would want to try that. Wifi works but I was really hoping for the 3G too...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

spyguy10709

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hey guys, I'm really feeling a little desperate here. :( I just bought an iPad 2 today and the person who sold it to me assured me it has 3g. Once I got home I looked at it again and realize it has no SIM card slot like most do, although it does have the black strip at the top that other 3g Ipads do, which is what threw me off.

I checked and it's a Verizon 3G model that doesn't use SIM cards but only has coverage in the US. Since I live in Central America how in the world do I get this unlocked for regular GSM use, or is it not even possible. If it's hackable or jailbreak would do it then I would want to try that. Wifi works but I was really hoping for the 3G too...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Yeah, you can't do that with any type of software. It's the hardware. Sell the iPad, or maybe look for someone who wants to trade.

esgal838

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Thanks a million you guys, that is very helpful! I figured too it was probably not something I can fix. I appreciate your response!

Cheers!

343matt

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
iPad 3G

Yes, that's a hardware thing. The CDMA iPad has no SIM slot, while the GSM model does. No soft mods can change that. The iPad 2 3G still goes for a decent amount on the internet, so you might want to sell it for a used iPad 2 or 3.