Does Jailbreaking lead to out-of-control data loss?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by motoleo, Feb 12, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I don't believe this has ever been addressed. But for some reason, I feel that when you install a Jailbreak, it eats up all your data. You install a program from Cydia, you decide you don't like it. You uninstall it.

But here's the question: How many of the apps completely uninstall?

For some reason, I don't trust Jailbreaking- because the data is everywhere and you loose tons of space with all these dead files.

Especially when you've half-installed an app. It gets in this "dead state" ? When you uninstall, how do you know it's completely gone?

I always think, why is it taking so long to start up? What's going on? How do these tweaks affect my device?

Tell me, are my fears irrational?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When you uninstall a Cydia tweak, most of them only leave behind a very tiny ~8K preference file. Hardly anything to worry about. Anything else left over will be removed when you update to a newer iOS version.

3. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I'm also concerned about when you remove an app, then you install it again- does it rewrite over the same files, or create new ones??

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When you remove an app, it removes all of its files. Then when you reinstall it, it makes new ones.

5. kalex macrumors 65816

totally irrational and 100% spread of false information.

all apps in cydia are packages. when packages get uninstalled the package installer removes those packages and all files that are added during installation are removed. There is no dead state.