iPhone X Does leaving 12.1.4 downloaded on my iPhone X slow it down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

and how can I stop it from downloading?

I’ve been manually deleting it each day!!!!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It doesn’t slow the phone down. You have asked the question about stopping the download in several threads you have already made on this subject. The answers are the same.

3. ttforever macrumors regular

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Install it, you won’t notice any difference in performance faster or slower.

5. BLBL, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

BLBL macrumors 6502a

This update increased power consumption in standby a lot. Almost double overnight what it used to be with IOS 12.1.3.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Like essentially any update, or even in general, it seems that some devices can behave differently at times. That said, short of it being something widespread on some scale it's perhaps something to consider on some level but far from a given in terms of the expected or likely outcome for most.

7. BLBL macrumors 6502a

Properly made and implemented software should act the same in the same hardware, if nothing else in the software running in the system has changed (which it has not in my case). Also "huge" increase happened with 12.1.4. I did not have the same with previous several version.

As a side note and not related to increased standby power consumption in the latest IOS - All in all battery life in iPhone X is step down from previous models and OLED display obviously is a power hog but I suspect the biggest reason is (low) quality of the batteries they use these days.

8. ttforever macrumors regular

Doesn't seem any different to me. And my iPhone X battery lasts much longer than all my previous iphones and the OLED in theory uses less battery power

9. BLBL, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019

BLBL macrumors 6502a

Mine has been always worse than 7 ever was, and I'm already on my second X. Also another X other family member has seems to be eating more battery during standby after IOS 12.1.4. Not sure if this is somehow related to those with Intel chips? I hope this is not some side effect of the legal battle with Qualcomm…?

Well many things are better in theory but terrible in practise. For example OLED does consume a lot of battery with white image (as cells "create" their own light) and it is abosulute power hog in everyday use as almost everything in IOS has white background (email, web, etc.).
    Some dark mode would save a lot of battery but I can see why it has not been released formally, as I'm pretty sure that would bring screen burn in problems more evident. It is much easier to burn in something very small and bright on black background than black letters on full white background due to ABL.

10. iphonnemacf macrumors newbie

11. canadianpj macrumors 6502

No. But if you're interested in missing out on security fixes for your phone then be my guest do not update. I've never understood this. I get asked all the time, "Should I update to this?" and it's always, "Why wouldn't you? Do you like security problems and lack of new features?"

12. now i see it macrumors 68040

Then let me explain:
    iOS updates will eventually degrade every iPhone's/iPad's performance to the point it's no longer pleasant to use. Not a .x upgrade. but historically a full digit upgrade will "age the device". Basically it slows it down and diminishes battery life.

I'm a firm believer in never upgrading the OS beyond the full digit version it was released with when the device was first launched. If a new version of iOS seems utterly irresistible, then buy a current phone. You'll end up having to anyway after installing a new version of iOS on an old device (after you realized you should never have done it).

Personally I've been burned by apple's iOS updates ruining (or at least crippling) perfectly good iPhones too many times to ever trust them with that BS ever again.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

So you're the operating system equivalent of an anti-vaxxer?

You say these things but none of them are based in fact

14. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

There are plenty of YouTube videos and other tests showing the effect on older iphones.
    The only exception was iOS 12 after the battery debacle