Does leaving wi-fi on drain battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThisIsMyName, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ThisIsMyName macrumors regular

ThisIsMyName

I only use wifi at my house and when I go out I leave the wifi mode on (ask to join networks off), does this mean it's constantly searching?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

You might see a little drain, if you're going to be on 3G for a while you might want to turn WiFi off just to guarantee the best battery life.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Wifi turns off when u put sleep the phone, unless u have it charging, then it remains connected to wifi.

4. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

If you go into your WiFi settings you can turn off "Ask to join Networks" so while you're out your WiFi won't constantly be trying to connect while you're using data. This way it will only connect to your home WiFi.

5. nukem170 macrumors member

Yes it's true that it won't connect to wifi or ask you to connect. But your phone doesn't know if you'r at home or not. So it will power up the wifi antenna and search for a familiar signal (your home wifi) each time you take it off sleep.
    Another thing is I'm not sure if the iPhone does that but I know that in iPod, in addition to waking off sleep it will also search for signal by itself every 15 mins if you leave it on.

6. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Yes, it'll do that. It doesn't take that much battery because the system will wake up, search, find nothing, and switch off on its own.

It will not search again until the next time you unlock the device from a sleep episode.

So, sure...you can maximise the battery life by turning this off, but most of us will get through a whole day of moderate use without worrying about it.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Turning the phone on uses battery, so yes, using anything on it will also use battery.

8. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

For best Battery life you must turn wifi, bluetooth and any other process not in use. soem other tips include

- turn of notifications
    - Use location services like maps only when needed
    - Keep software updated
    - I am not sure about this but some people say its good to fully discharge the battery once in a while (Though I've never done this)

9. Perfect10 macrumors newbie

Actually leaving the wifi on will increase your battery life... It will suck power straight from the wifi router. Before you know it the phone will become self aware...

Great question!!!

10. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

wow you're very helpful...next time how about just not responding instead of that post.

11. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Well, here's the thing. You can monitor signals passively. That means the chip is powered, but not the antenna, which only needs power to transmit. So it will wake up, and just wait for the SSID broadcast and connect. The power required is much less to do this scan than it does to bring the screen on.