Does Leopard come with a new iTunes? Will it force iPhones to go to 1.1.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Oct 1, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Anyone know if Leopard is going to come with a new iTunes? If so, it may force iPhones to upgrade to 1.1.1.
    This is bad news since anyone who upgrades to Leopard will be forced to upgrade their phone to the 1.1.1.

Is there a way to find out from Leopard users now?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It is entirely possible that iTunes 8 will coincide with Leopard's release :)

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

As far as ideas go, that would be brilliant of apple to do. It would suck for everyone else, but if they were really serious, they would sneak that into the leopard update.

4. alljunks macrumors regular

by then...1.1.1 firmware should already been hacked!!

5. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I would venture to say that 10.5 will have a new version of iTunes specific to Leopard and older versions will not be able to operate unless some "hack" is created.

I would probably put money on it that Apple will do everything they can to force the non-compliant to make the transition.

And anyone thinking that a "hack" for 1.1.1 firmware is in the near future is drinking way to much Koolaid.

6. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

This has always been Apple's tactic. As someone that has been on Apple's in the business realm for years, this is the way they force you to upgrade. They'll put out a "must have" feature, and then the only way to get it is to upgrade, which will undeniably force you to loose some other functionality, usually in the form of a hack.

They already did this with the iPhone. ie: I had to upgrade my iTunes to get an iPhone, but in order to upgrade my iTunes, I had to upgrade my OS.... see how that works. It also works the other way, if you want the new OS (Leopard) you will have to upgrade your iTunes to a supported version, <speculation> but then the new iTunes will break some popular hack and force an upgrade on the phone that wasn't necessary on the previous version of iTunes. </speculation>

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I agree that it is likely that Leopard will ship with iTunes 8 as the default, even if the functionality is not much greater then iTunes 7.x.

No doubt someone brave will try and downgrade to 7.x. :)

Since iTunes 7.x does not force an upgrade to the 1.1.1 iPhone firmware, I imagine iTunes 8 will not do so, either. However, Apple might be holding off an iPhone feature in 1.1.x that only works with iTunes 8 and will try and use that to convince folks going to Leopard to also go to firmware 1.1.x.

8. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Ok, say apple releases OS X 10.5 that includes *iTunes 8*, do you think it would it be impossible to delete *iTunes 8*, get an installer file of iTunes 7.4.2 and install it on Leopard?

Just a thought...

9. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

If I wasn't such a slow typer I would have said that bit about down grading to v7 first:p

Good point about v8 releasing certain features on the phone though...