Does Leopard feel snappy on 1.8GHz C2Duo mini?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blakespot, Oct 31, 2007.

1. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I have a 1.42GHz G4 mini that I am considering selling and replacing with a 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo mini. I am wondering if Leopard "feels" snappy on the current mini. I know the GMA gfx are relatively weak, but how does that feel in Leopard? My mini's gfx aren't even Core Image (hardware) compatible - solid menu bar, etc.

Disk speed would not be a factor as I am currently using an external FW400 7200 RPM, 8MB cache disk to boot and I would do the same on the new mini - it's faster than either mini's internal drive.

Thanks. The upgrade would end up costing me about $200 as far as I can estimate and I don't want to waste the $$ if it's not a real win. Tnx.

blakespot

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yep, Leopard works really nicely on a C2D mini - no worries.

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Leopard should be quite snappy on any Intel based Mac for sure. I haven't used a mini myself, but on an early 2006 model Intel iMac, it seems quicker than when it was running Tiger.

5. karnsculpture macrumors member

Don't know about a mini, but I own a G4 1.42Ghz iBook, 1GB Ram and it is running Leopard brilliantly. Have had no problems and most things seem faster than with Tiger. Dashboard apps are definitely quicker.

6. Czechmac macrumors regular

I have 1.66 Ghz Core Duo mac mini and Leopard runs fine. Had to make the dock 2D though, because it was making my expose choppy, however I belive that C2D Mac minis should od fine.

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Same one here. I have 2gb ram, dont know what you have. I dont have any problems with choppy expose though. I did at first, but I found that spotlight was indexing everything. However, I like the 2d dock better anyway.

So to answer the OPs question, it will be fast. I think its faster than Tiger was on my machine.

8. ivnj macrumors 65816

I have 1.66 duo mini 2gb ram. When did 2duo minis come out? I thought mini was only duo. When did 2duo come out.

Anyway it works fine.

ivnj

9. blakespot thread starter Administrator

blakespot

I hit the Apple Store just now - played with the one mini in the store, a 2GHz Core 2 Duo unit w/ 1GB RAM. It was quite responsive, if a little Expose chop. Nothing I could do would get the CPUs to go over 50% usage per core. Impressive.

A far cry from my 1.42GHz mini. The mini goes on eBay tonite... :)

blakespot

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The mini was updated with C2D back in August - they kept surprisingly quiet about it though...

11. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I'm going off topic here but, if it works nicely on a 1.83GHz C2D Mini, How will it work on a 1.83GHz CD Macbook with 2GB of memory?? Answer would be nice.