Does Leopard work on G4 iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by evoboredom, Nov 18, 2007.

1. evoboredom macrumors newbie

My neighbor has an iMac G4 running Mac OS 10.1.2 currently.
    She is going to sell me this computer, and I was wondering if I could upgrade it to Leopard. Is Leopard compatible with G4 iMacs?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

System requirements for Leopard

• Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
    • 512MB of memory (min. 1gb I would have said)
    • DVD drive for installation
    • 9GB of available disk space

Better double-check which iMac it is... ask your neighbour to open up:
    Apple Menu>About This Mac to see what it says.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I think officially it has to have at least an 867mhz processor...I would have to check my Leopard box to be sure though...:)

Having said that, I am pretty sure it would work whether it does or not...

Ahh...Blue Velvet knew for sure:)

4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Even though it will probably run on a system with a slower than 867 MHz processor, it's a very non-trivial task to install Leopard on a system that doesn't meet the system requirements. I wouldn't recommend it for the feint of heart.

5. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I heard on a podcast (I think it was the MacUsers podcast) that all that was necessary was to connect the below-spec machine to an above-spec with a FireWire cable. Boot the below-spec machine in target mode, launch the Leopard install on the above-spec machine, and install on the below-spec drive.

If anyone knows this to be false, please let me know--I was planning on doing this very thing to my wife's 800 Mhz G4 iMac over Thanksgiving!

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yes, that will work. Leopard checks the computer the CD is booted on, and when the iMac is in firewire mode the other computer just sees it as a hard drive.