Does less RAM equal loud fans?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smallnshort247, Jan 19, 2011.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I upgraded my MacBook Pro mid 2010 model from 4GB to 8GB of RAM. I noticed a big improvement with performance. One thing i noticed was that the only time I noticed the fan getting really loud was if I was exporting a movie in iMovie or playing something like Left 4 Dead 2 via Steam. I'm sending the RAM back to Crucial due to Kernel Panics and they're going to send me a replacement..which means that I have to put the stock 4GB of ram back in. Now it seems like my fans get really loud for basic things like watching a YouTube video in 720/1080. Not to mention, it seems to get a lot hotter now. I'm sure my MacBook Pro is fine, but I'm just wondering if the reason why my MBP gets so loud is due only 4GB of RAM compared to previously having 8GB. Thanks for your replies in advance.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well in theory page ins only put high load on the HDD and the HDD doesn't cause loud fans. Most of the heat of an HDD is dissipated over the case not the cooling radiator at near the screen like CPU and GPU heat.
    And the CPU load while being higher than minimum for a longer period the peaks should be lower because the CPU would do a lot of waiting for the paged in data.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It will get hot watching youtube regardless. Youtube uses Flash, which is pretty crappy as far as CPU efficiency goes, so you'll be using more CPU, making the machine hotter and the fans louder.