Does light leak warrant a rMBP screen replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uhslax24, Dec 21, 2012.

1. uhslax24, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

I just recently had my 4 month old rMBP replaced, and got an LG display this time. Tonight, I noticed some pretty serious light leakage on a black screen, and some color variation.

I'm a professional videographer by trade and while I primarily use another monitor for editing, I think it's important that my notebook screen not have light leak.

What do you all think? Should I set up a Genius Bar appointment or just call AppleCare?

This was a brand new replacement that I got 4 days ago, but I don't know if the 14 day return/exchange period applies for me.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
    :apple:
    [​IMG]

2. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

LG is nothing but problems! Why can`t they just give you a Samsung instead of them replacing a faulty LG with another faulty LG.....Just a waste of time!

3. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Well, my first computer was a beautiful display, and a Samsung. This one is beautiful, minus the light leak.

It's my understanding that all replacement screens are Samsungs though

4. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

I have worse light bleed on my replacement Samsung rMBP display to be honest.
    Also if I have a black screen like yours and look at an angle the screen turns a kind of reddish color.
    I only see it on that dark image and not through normal use so it doesn't bother me.
    But Samsung screens have problems of there own too, not just LGs .

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Call Apple - ask for a new screen - why was the Samsung replaced? Something else was wrong with the rMBP?

6. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Oh yes, I know that they do. The problem is on the video production side of things, not really the LG vs Samsung war. I need my display to have consistent blacks, and backlight bleeding doesn't help :)

Yep -- check it out here. I had some kind of faulty component and they were kind enough to replace my 4 month old computer with a brand new one. I had a feeling that my new one would have screen problems though...my other screen was just too perfect :rolleyes:

Thanks for your response!

7. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Quick update -- took the computer into the apple store today and they are replacing the screen. I assume it'll be a samsung (part number 661-7171).

Hope to get it back soon. Have to leave town on Monday on business...