Does Lightroom still do the weird saving thing? (Details inside).

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chrono1081, Jan 28, 2015.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I haven't used Lightroom since version 2, I have no clue what they're on now but I was wondering if they still did that awful save thing where you had multiple folders you had to move if you moved images (I remember one being an XMP Sidecar file or folder).

Back in the day that caused huge headaches because you'd move your files and your Lightroom catalog would break. Can anyone tell me if this is still the case?

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

You still cannot move files in the finder without breaking the link in your lightroom catalog. At first I also had problems with that way of working but I got used to it so when I want to rename or move a folder I do it from within the library.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

This is still the case. How would Lightroom know where you'd moved the files to? If you move files within Lightroom, it'll handle moving the XMP files and updating your catalog for you.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

LR only does a referenced catalog, not one of the black box managed libraries like the iPhoto and Aperture defaults. So if you move the originals outside of LR, it will not have a clue what you have done. The easy thing is to use LR to move photos and folders of photos.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

6. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Guess the question is who's headache? Lightroom or yours, since you're the one moving the files outside Lightroom. Precisely how is the computer application expected to know what you did if it's not on?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you can manage your images inside of LR, use that to move them to the folder of your choice. I had a hard time getting my brain wrapped around some of the things LR does. I don't touch my image file structure outside of LR at this point. Since doing that, everything has been going well.

8. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

To be more clear the issue was that if you moved your files outside, relinking your library didn't save your edits. There was the whole XMP Sidecar nonsense at the time that was in a different location on your drive that had to be moved too. This caused a huge fuss with early Lightroom adopters because Adobe didn't really put out clear information on how to manage needing to move your images folder (for backup purposes, or upgrading to a new drive) without losing your edits.

In Aperture its easy to move things, in Lightroom (in the past) it wasn't.

9. robgendreau macrumors 68030

In Aperture now you have to go to a dialog to move stuff, sort of. LR just shows your photo folders as they are in the Finder so you can move them around just as you would in the Finder, rename, etc. Just not copy. None of the DAMs are happy if you move stuff outside of them since there is no way in the world for them to know where you moved them. If you want that facility, use a photo browser, not a DAM.

And the XMPs, if you use them, are right there with the photos. You can store some edit info in both the database in LR and in the XMP file, BUT not everything. See here for what can and can't be stored in the files: http://www.lightroomfanatic.com/export/what-is-not-included-in-lightroom-xmp-files/

There isn't tons of difference between LR and Aperture regarding referenced files, just sorta the interface to do it. Both preserve adjustments in their databases, and can write some metadata to XMP or export changes in a TIFF, and they can relocate the photos (Aperture) or just move the folders (LR).

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you're saying moving the image files apart for the sidecar? I'd not want to do that.

I think many folks already said, that moving your images outside of LR is not recommended. Since you can manage your directory structure within LR, and not have the issues you're commenting on, it makes sense not to do it.

Its like the old saying,
    :)