Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
On my systems, Hotmail and Mail are happy together. If it doesn't work with you, then something is wrong with your setup. Only you have a clue what that might be.

It is not particularly useful to say only that you have a problem. You must must give some information about your system and where you are trying to use it.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope

Hotmail hasn't worked with mail in some time.

Do yourself a favor and get a gmail account or buy your own domain. You'll thank me later.

Marcus263

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Yes it does work, you need the correct setting. I copied them from my iPhone.

Incoming Mail Server (POP): pop3.live.com

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.live.com

Username: name@hotmail.com (needs to be full email)

That's it. It should sync.

Palladium

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
Northern Ireland, UK
syncing Hotmail.co.uk?

I can confirm that what Marcus263 reports. I have set Mail to get mail from my wife's Hotmail.com account and it syncs beautifully. For some reason I ended up with a Hotmail.co.uk address which does not work with the same servers. Does anyone know which servers to use for a .co.uk address?

Marcus263

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
co.uk does not even work with Outlook 2007. I always took it down to the fact that you had to be a paid subscriber. I could never syn mail accounts in Outlook using any of the .co.uk emails.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
nice thanks, I was trying to get this setup as well. I have a old @msn.com account and for some reason it wouldn't get it up. The settings posted worked like a charm.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
co.uk does not even work with Outlook 2007. I always took it down to the fact that you had to be a paid subscriber. ...
Microsoft is currently rolling out POP access to Hotmail. It is operational in the US. It is apparently not yet operational in the UK. However, it is coming. People have used Hotmail for decades without POP access. You can wait a little longer until it reaches you.

Marcus263

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Microsoft is currently rolling out POP access to Hotmail. It is operational in the US. It is apparently not yet operational in the UK. However, it is coming. People have used Hotmail for decades without POP access. You can wait a little longer until it reaches you.

I don't use Hotmail.

Babooshka

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I can confirm that what Marcus263 reports. I have set Mail to get mail from my wife's Hotmail.com account and it syncs beautifully. For some reason I ended up with a Hotmail.co.uk address which does not work with the same servers. Does anyone know which servers to use for a .co.uk address?

My @hotmail.co.uk account works perfectly with pop3.live.com, no problem at all.

Palladium

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
Northern Ireland, UK
Yippee!!!!

Many thanks Babooshka. I don't know if I did anyting wrong before but with the confidence that it was working for you, I tried again and success, glorious success. Very convenient. Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I still can't get my hotmail account to work, but that's why it's my junk email account. The above method seemed like it was going to work, but no, apparently Microsoft really does hate me. Oh well...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

Little over exaggeration there? IIRC, hotmail did work a couple years back on POP. They then removed it from the free service (of course, it's microsoft) and now it's back up.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales

It is operational in the UK, I use it daily.

It works fine for the most part, though Mail will prompt me for the password repeatedly some days.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I just set up my hotmail account in Mail (one of my junk email addresses) and it works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.