Does Live/Hotmail work with the Mail app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seven7seven, Jun 18, 2009.

1. seven7seven macrumors regular

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

On my systems, Hotmail and Mail are happy together. If it doesn't work with you, then something is wrong with your setup. Only you have a clue what that might be.

It is not particularly useful to say only that you have a problem. You must must give some information about your system and where you are trying to use it.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Hotmail hasn't worked with mail in some time.

Do yourself a favor and get a gmail account or buy your own domain. You'll thank me later.

4. Marcus263 macrumors regular

Yes it does work, you need the correct setting. I copied them from my iPhone.

Incoming Mail Server (POP): pop3.live.com

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.live.com

Username: name@hotmail.com (needs to be full email)

That's it. It should sync.

5. Palladium macrumors member

syncing Hotmail.co.uk?

I can confirm that what Marcus263 reports. I have set Mail to get mail from my wife's Hotmail.com account and it syncs beautifully. For some reason I ended up with a Hotmail.co.uk address which does not work with the same servers. Does anyone know which servers to use for a .co.uk address?

6. Marcus263 macrumors regular

co.uk does not even work with Outlook 2007. I always took it down to the fact that you had to be a paid subscriber. I could never syn mail accounts in Outlook using any of the .co.uk emails.

7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

nice thanks, I was trying to get this setup as well. I have a old @msn.com account and for some reason it wouldn't get it up. The settings posted worked like a charm.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Microsoft is currently rolling out POP access to Hotmail. It is operational in the US. It is apparently not yet operational in the UK. However, it is coming. People have used Hotmail for decades without POP access. You can wait a little longer until it reaches you.

9. Marcus263 macrumors regular

I don't use Hotmail.

10. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

My @hotmail.co.uk account works perfectly with pop3.live.com, no problem at all.

11. Palladium macrumors member

Yippee!!!!

Many thanks Babooshka. I don't know if I did anyting wrong before but with the confidence that it was working for you, I tried again and success, glorious success. Very convenient. Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I still can't get my hotmail account to work, but that's why it's my junk email account. The above method seemed like it was going to work, but no, apparently Microsoft really does hate me. Oh well...

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Little over exaggeration there? IIRC, hotmail did work a couple years back on POP. They then removed it from the free service (of course, it's microsoft) and now it's back up.

14. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It is operational in the UK, I use it daily.

It works fine for the most part, though Mail will prompt me for the password repeatedly some days.

15. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I just set up my hotmail account in Mail (one of my junk email addresses) and it works great.