Does m-audio work with 10.5.6?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ChrisA, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

I just looked on M-Audio's web site, where they list driver downloads. It seems that NOT ONE of their products has a Mac OS X 10.5.6 driver. According to their site support ends with 10.5.5 and even then 10.5.3, 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 are listed as "beta" drivers for the Fast Track Pro.

Does M-audio equipment really not work with the current release of Mac OS X? Or maybe the web site is out of date.

I'm still looking for an interface and I see something wrong with every one I look at. Maybe I'll have to move my budget up past the $200 level.

2. jejagua macrumors member

I'm using an M-Audio Fast Track (non pro) in 10.5.6 with no problems. I didn't install the driver, just let it self install using the system driver. I may give the driver d/l off M-Audio's website a whirl though.

3. ChrisA thread starter macrumors G4

So you are just using the class compliant feature set right? No driver required for that.

Are you able to set the sample rate above 48K? and the sample width to 24 bits. My understanding is that class compliant devices are limited to 48K and 16 bits. I'd like to be wrong on this.

4. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

I have an maudio fast track pro as well, I hardly ever use it but the few times I did, it worked like a charm.

5. jejagua macrumors member

I installed the driver update and honestly can't tell one bit of difference from the "class compliant" driver. I think you're correct about the sample and bit rate limits. Even with the new driver, I don't think you can set it above 48K / 24 bit or maybe even 16 bit. This could be limitation of the Fast Track though. You have the pro right?

On a side note, I bought a Creative E-MU 0202 USB 2.0 interface a few days ago and I'm returning it because I couldn't optimize the latency to an acceptable level. I'm surprised though that the unit's USB 2.0 connection doesn't outperform the M-Audio Fast Track's USB 1.1 speed. Maybe it's the higher sample rates..but it seemed even at the lower rates, the E-MU was laggy.

6. ChrisA thread starter macrumors G4

That's exactly what I'm finding. There is something wrong with every one of these sub $200 interfaces. "class compliant" gets you only to 16-bits and 48K. Not 24-bits and 96K. Some have good hardware and crappy on no drivers. It seems like I two options:

1) Be happy with the low end. Get a Griffen "iMic" and a low cost preamp and be happy with mid-fi recording.

2) Up the budget by $200 and get up into another class of interfaces that use Firewire

7. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I'm using an M-Audio Firewire 410 with 10.5.6 with no problems. Just using the latest OS X driver available from their website.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

both of my interfaces, and protools, have worked just fine in 10.5.6