Does Mac App Store Throttle?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Mar 28, 2012.

1. AFPoster macrumors 68000

Just curious if the Mac App Store throttles download speeds.

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

They don't throttle in the sense an ISP would, but at peak usage times, you may find you have to wait a little longer for downloads to commence. The same applies to iTunes....Remember IOS upgrade? The world was all trying to download it at once..:)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. Why would you think that?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, if you download something via torrent or browser or FTP or any other means from the internet, the download from the MAS will sadly be slower and fight for bandwidth with the other applications, thus slowing down the other download speeds.

5. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm rocking 50mb down had the guys come out several times to make sure it was up to par but it still takes time to download a file. OS X Lion which I can keep downloading as an example is 4.05gb but it takes 3 hours to download, shouldn't be more than 30-45minutes in my opinion.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As others have mentioned, other traffic and downloads you may have running can consume bandwidth, making downloads from the App Store slower, but Apple doesn't throttle. It would be a huge mistake to do so, as they want to minimize any inconvenience that would dissuade people from buying from them.