Does .Mac come with an Installation Disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phalewhale, Oct 2, 2007.

1. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Hi people,

I'm wondering if .mac comes with an install disk? It doesn't seem to mention one in the description on the apple website. I just wanted it confirmed though.

I've just bought a MBP and a 24" iMac. Managed to get the Free Nano deal on both occasions but forgot to order .mac! Livid. Apple said they would cancel my order and put it through again but the whole lot is nearing shipment so I don't want to cancel. It's only £20 at the end of the day.

Anyhow, if someone could answer my question I'd be most grateful.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

.mac is built into OSX, what you are buying is a subscription which is handled online. The only thing you really download is the backup.app program.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You get a serial code and some apple stickers.

4. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Thanks fella's!

Hey fella's, thanks very much for that info - very much appreciated.
    One more thing - would you both recommend it?

By the way, cool name DrAtheist! I'm an atheist but not yet a doctor... nor a pool-man!

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right, it's a box with a piece of paper inside. Kind of funny, actually, if you don't mind the waste of natural resources. I think they threw in the Apple stickers because otherwise the package would look even more ridiculously empty. Of course you can always subscribe online and skip the box, but you can't get a discount that way. I bought my last renewal from Amazon. It was $20 cheaper for them to ship me the box with piece of paper inside than for me to renew online directly with Apple.

To somebody, somewhere, this makes perfect sense.

6. tilman macrumors regular

If you have more than one computer, then it's very handy for keeping your address book, calendar, bookmarks, etc. in sync very nicely. I use it to keep my work and home computers all in sync.

7. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I've had it for more than a year now and honestly wouldn't be without it. I think it's well worth the money, especially as we now get 10Gb of storage.

And as others said, it is nothing but a subscription.

Cheers.

8. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm not a doctor either, but when I was registering an account with a BBC forum that's the name they suggested, and it sort of stuck (the "atheist" name is from my catholic wife :rolleyes:)

Oh, and no, not really. I only have it because I got it for £15 in a sale. I've barely used it. I don't use the email address because I'm happy with my gmail one, and I'm aware that if I start using it, propery I am forcing myself to keep it, iWeb has gone largely unused, galleries have sort of been used, but it needs to offer a lot more for a lot less before I'd recommend it.

9. phalewhale thread starter macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Thanks All!

Hey everyone,

Thanks very much for your responses! You were all most helpful!

Cheers.