Does mac come with any app to *open* MS office files??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by XheartcoreboyX, Jul 11, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

is there any app to let you just open and read microsoft office files,such as ms word files in the net?
    or shall i download/buy a software to do the job?whats the best?
    - i heared that MS office for mac really suck,true?why? >_>

Thanks,

2. James L macrumors 6502a

Once again, don't believe the rumors. Many people will whine simply because a product is made by MicroSoft. Stupid, but they do it anyway. Are there some things it could do better? Sure, but it is the industry standard for a reason.

Interesting trivia, MS Office came out first on the Macintosh platform iirc. It was designed for the Mac, and was later ported to window land.

MS Office documents can be opened by Appleworks, and I think even by Text Edit (I could be wrong though).

3. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Download FireFox and load up Google Docs & Spreadsheets
    http://docs.google.com/

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Office for Mac is a pretty darn good program. For free alternatives, investigate NeoOffice/OpenOffice.

5. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

will Appleworks come with macbook pro or i have to buy/download it?!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... I totally respect that people may choose to use Neo or OOo... And I also totally respect that Office has been slow to go UB and slow to get translators for the misguided "new" office document formats.

However, the smear campaign does a disservice to the Mac platform, and is absurdist.... every time I use Office on Windows, I miss features in MS Office 04. I really never miss features in Office 03 on Windows that are not present in 04.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You would have to buy it. But I really wouldn't bother with AppleWorks. It can still do some neat things, but it hasn't really been updated in over seven years now, so I seriously doubt its ability to handle recent Office documents. I believe the best it can officially handle are Word/Excel 2001 formats. It can't do PowerPoint.

8. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Appleworks no longer comes preloaded on any Macs. Actually, it has been superseded by iWork and Apple no longer updates Appleworks.

I'd try NeoOffice for now, mostly because it is free.

9. phatphil macrumors member

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

just a quick question... my neooffice spell checker and spell underliner thingo doesnt work. it stopped working 2 updates ago, it used to be good but its kinda like the dictionary isnt there or something. spell checker doesnt even return incorrect words now....

neooffice is good tho, but the M$ office for mac is faster...my neooffice runs like a dog

11. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Just to be clear.

.Doc files can be opened by textedit. textedit can also save to .doc

12. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

My only objection to Office for Mac is the somewhat obscene price tag. The software itself is just fine and, as noted elsewhere, superior to the Windows versions in some respects.

Cheers

Jim

13. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

You will also get a free 30 day trial of Pages which will also open Word Documents and Keynote which will open Powerpoint files.

14. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Anyone else really annoyed by the fact that a mac of all things doesn't come with a permanent Office-type program?

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not really, Windows doesn't come with Office either. You get the tools for making simple documents (TextEdit) and you can buy Office or similar if you want to do more. I for one am glad that I'm not paying extra for bundled software that I don't need.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Text Edit can read Word documents. However, it may not display embedded graphics.

Yes, Microsoft Office on the Mac sucks. Statements to the contrary come from people who have never seen a word processor that doesn't suck. However, Office:mac sucks less than Office:win.

That said, I am not sure if you asked the correct question. I would want an application which can write Word documents. If the app can write RTF, then your Windows-using colleague will open it in Word and never be the wiser. If opensource meets your fancy, then give AbiWord serious consideration.

Even though Word is the worst productivity killer on any platform, I recommend it if you really need Word-compatibility. There is no honor in using a Word wannabe.

17. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I am not neccesarily sure I agree. I have always considered Word for both mac and windows to be an incredibly good word processor, and the way the whole suite of office applications work together has always made me more productive both at work and with classes. While it does suck that MS has been slow to update the mac version of office to UB, the current version has fitted my needs perfectly, and does great justice to the polished item that is office:win.

I work in a big office for a huge corporation, and we would not get any work done without the convinence that all of the office apps bring to our jobs. If office is such a poor suite of productivity applications, why is it the standard for home, school and office. I would argue that it is so good, apple threw appleworks into the depth of obscurity 7 years ago, and hasn't really tried to top it since. Google apps is starting to compete, but much of the funtionality and design looks strinkingly similar to office on windows, and one of it's biggest selling points is its integration with office.

Example?

18. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Funny thing, i get the same face from people every single time i tell them that :confused::eek:

19. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Umm ... OK ... I'm not a MS apologist by any stretch of the imagination, but -- for the sakeof argument -- what are these non-sucking WP packages of which you speak.

Mention Appleworks and you automatically lose.

Cheers

Jim

20. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You're almost right!

PowerPoint was originally a Mac-only application. It was first developed by Forethought and released in 1987, Microsoft bought it later that year. So PowerPoint has just celebrated its 20th birthday. :) The first Windows version came out in 1989.

Excel was also a Mac-first application, originally released in 1985. The Windows version didn't come out until 1987.

Word, however, was originally a Windows application. It was released in 1983. The Mac version was released in 1985.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm what have u got against appleworks?? apart form the fact that its PPC only? appleworks is the greatest program of all time!! i love it and still use it everyday, does such a good job with everything.