Does Mac Office 2004 allow Excel Add-ins to work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by machomer, Oct 23, 2008.

1. machomer macrumors regular

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Add-ins do work for Excel:Mac 2004, but I can't speak to whether this particular third-party add-in does work. I've never tried it. You might want to post a new topic asking about this particular add-in, either here or at the Excel:Mac public forum (which is where lots of Excel experts hang out and answer questions).

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I will try there. If anyone else has had some experience, please feel free to share your experience.

The instructions for this ad-in says to run the .exe file and it should unzip files to the C: drive. Obviously this doesn't work.

Help!

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

not all add-ins are necessarily designed for Mac. In my experience (with MegaStat), the add-in did work, but it was some what buggy and you had to jump through a few hoops to get there (I think you had to "install" it into Excel each time you wanted to use it.

As nadyne said, I can't speak for all add-ins, they all vary tremendously.

After taking a quick look at the link you gave, it looks like this is very much so designed for Windows. Perhaps you could unzip the .exe on a PC or in Parallels/VMWare/Bootcamp, then try to play with the files it gives you on your Mac from there?

Overall the Mac Office ('04 and '08) are crippled POS's compared to Office '07 for Windows. Use '07 in some sort of virtualization (Parallels / VMWare) if you can, as MUCH of the things I need excel for (in College business classes at least) are not supported in the Mac version... Just my two cents and customary rant about Office stuff on Mac.