Does MacBook ever wake up from sleep randomly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmflapem, Feb 4, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I usually carry my laptops in a pouch and last time I had a Vaio laptop that woke up just randomly while it was in the pouch.. So the fan got kinda f-ed up and things got ugly.

Ever since that happened, I get very scared to carry my laptops while it's sleeping.

Do MacBooks ever wake up randomly while it's in sleep?

2. toneLA2 macrumors member

They don't on their own. It usually requires the push on the button of a wireless mouse synced with it to make it happen. And even then, it detects the lid is still shut and goes right back to sleep. Don't worry about it! :)

3. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I fully understand your concern. My work Lenovo Thinkpad also regularly goes into what I call 'suicidal mode' - waking up when in a bag, I found it more than once burning hot and / or with empty battery.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had a Dell do that, and I was also too quick to put a MBP in its carrying case once. I closed the lid but didn't wait for the glowing light. For some reason it never went into sleep mode and so I heard the fans blasting in the case once :(

Since the new rMBPs do not have any light to show that its on, off or asleep. I shut my MBP down now when I travel - I'm not willing to gamble on my very expensive laptop

5. dirtnnasty macrumors member

I'm not sure but what does "Power Nap"?
    You can find it under your Energy Settings...

6. gcrr macrumors regular

Never happened to me. My old laptop would randomly turn on with the fan going full blast and it would drive me crazy. It's amazing how quiet the rMBP is in comparison.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I never had any of these issues with my mid 2012 except if I used a remote with my Apple TV. But once I disabled my receiver it was fine.