does macbook pro need some app to clean system

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iamvincent, Feb 7, 2010.

1. iamvincent macrumors member

Like in PC, we need periodically use some app to clean the system, cache, or some other temp files in C:/ disc. Do we need to similar stuff in macbook 2? If so, can you folks recommend some good apps pls? thx

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What is a MacBook 2? Anyway, basically, no. Although your Mac will try and run some housekeeping tasks overnight so if your machine is turned off or asleep this won't happen. You could use Onyx or similar to run those scripts during the day

3. celticpride678

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Simple Answer: No

You can use App Zapper if you have serious OCD, but simply: No

5. iamvincent thread starter macrumors member

oops, sorry, i meant macbook too? I'll go check out the Onyx. thanx.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The "2" is short for "too". Haven't you read the FAQs on "3w shorthand" when you first signed up for the interwebs?

7. iamvincent thread starter macrumors member

good to know. thank u.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

"Normal" filesystem usage doesn't generate enough stuff to require maintenance, but everyday user actions can cause little bits of stray crud like dupes, orphaned aliases, empty folders, unused plists, and the like. Not harmful at all, and using something like AppZapper will take care of the ancillary things when deleting an application, but there may still be some dross lying about.

Spring Cleaning is not a bad tool to locate a lot of little things that others don't, but again, considering the hundreds of thousands—or millions—of files/folders/apps on your system, you'd have to be pretty OC to want to spend the time cleaning every last thing out. Unless you did something really silly, like accidentally duplicating the contents of iTunes, or wildly go about adding apps that you never use (and forget what they're even for), you really don't need to do much of anything.

I do use Spring Cleaning about once or twice a year, looking for dupes, aged stuff (like hasn't been opened/launched in a couple years), orphans, and the like, but at the end of the day I clean out less than a couple hundred things taking up only a few MB of space at most. And my system isn't any "snappier" for the effort. Again, it's just how much time and effort you think it's worth.