Does Macbook pro performance downgrade with less storage?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yumid, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Yumid macrumors member

Basically, is there a difference to how my laptop will perform if I have 75GB left free on my solid state compared to having like 200GB free?

Or is it just a 'full or not' type of scenario.

I have 70 out go 512GB left. I COULD start deleting myself but I dont wanna worry about it unless its actually affecting performance. Does it make a difference if i have 70gb left rather than 2-300?

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

A good rule is to keep about 10% of your drive free. The system needs breathing room for caches and other processes. Having a drive completely filled can degrade performance, but I don't know by how much with an SSD compared to an HDD.

If I had a 512GB SSD I'd try to keep at least 40GB free, but I've read posts on this forum from people who say they only keep like 10GB free. I personally wouldn't do that, but it's up to you. You're unlikely to see a performance hit right away, but rather a gradual degradation over time.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

By keeping a bit of memory free, it allows the file system to be able to reorganize stuff better (which is why you dont need defragging software these days)

With an ssd I am not sure how noticeable this is, although random IO read speed is still slower than sequential read.