Does Macbook pro still have 3rd party RAM problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamthebest22, Jan 8, 2009.

1. iamthebest22 macrumors newbie

HI guys, first post, I'm just wondering if the late macbook pro's (mines is a Dec 2008 macbook pro) still have any of those 3rd party RAM upgrade problems. I plan to buy a crucial 4GB

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35275&vpn=CM3X2GSD1066&manufacture=Others

2 of those basically. I searched on google, and it seems like after Dec.10th, no one seems to be posting issues on that, so has it been fixed? I also use Vista 64 bit.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

First of all what you posted is 2x1GB sticks... so unless there are 4 slots in the new MBP's, you will only get 2GB. You need 2x2GB sticks... Second, Apple does not make RAM, so all RAM in any Apple product is '3rd Party'. As long as you get the specs of RAM that the machine requires you should be fine.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

it never had 3rd party ram problems, just cheap ram problems, its a high class machine and needs high class treatment :p just go to www.crucial.com and press "scan my system" on the left to see what you need.

4. iamthebest22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll do that Kasten thanks, and Nik read it again, it says 1 x 2GB not 2 x 1GB.
    EDIT: Hey there's an issue. the crucial scan once again gives me a BSOD everytime i launch it. It happens on my desktop and now on my macbook pro too.

5. rifraf macrumors newbie

Just curious kasten...do you actually own one of the MacBook Pros? I have one for which I ordered RAM from Crucial and I'm looking at an RMA i'll be sending back tomorrow. Unless I've been under a rock non Samsung ram from OWC, Crucial, etc. are all potentially subject to this issue - which may or may not be about the RAM so much as a potential issue with the RAM slots.
    http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon5.gif

6. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

the only RAM problem i heard was people trying to put more RAM than the apple stated as the capacity.

7. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

8. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Crucial has the 2x2gb kit ddr3 for $79.99 right now. Good reviews.

9. Yeoman macrumors newbie

I bought the cheapest RAM newegg offers and it runs perfectly. PQI or something. "Mac" only RAM is a money making scam, IMO