does macbook really goes so hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisgohcs, Feb 17, 2008.

1. chrisgohcs macrumors member

chrisgohcs

im just watching a short clip on youtube for like 5mins. the cpu is like 66 degrees Celsius. i know about macbook going hot when having some flash videos turned on. but you know its really irritating to find your laptop so hot just by watching a short clip.

wads the reason behind the hot effect? can anything be done?

is it normal!?

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

3. chrisgohcs thread starter macrumors member

chrisgohcs

i would say i used it for half an hour or so. but i only watched a 5 mins clip on youtube.
    really disappointing to me.

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Flash videos take a toll on the cpu and thus, it will get hot.

66 degrees is nothing to worry about, it can still go much higher. I have had mine up to the 80's for quite a period of time.

5. tanjacob macrumors member

Sigh. To think my Dell XPS M1210 runs 68 degrees Celsius when idle. Can't wait to get an MBP.

6. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Download SMC FanControl. I use keep my fans running at a minimum of 2300RPM, instead of 1800RPM. The 500RPM is enough to keep the temperature down, without making the fans audible. I probably run 3-4˚ cooler since I added SMC

7. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

Does this only happen on Intel Macs? Because I was watching YouTube for hours last night and my iBook didn't get any hotter than it normally does.

8. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

My SR MacBook has surprised me regarding heat. It's much better than I expected it would be. I watched YouTube videos for literally 3 hours straight last night and the fans did not kick on once; they didn't need to, the system was still tolerably cool.

On my old MacBook, I *needed* a Fan Control app, but I haven't had the need for one yet on this one.

From what I've gathered reading these forums, the temperatures and software issues vary from person to person. Which really surprises me, because if all of the machines are the same, why are there so many different problems?

9. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

You call that hot?! My MB is currently at 83ºC
    But I am encoding a DVD :)

It got up to 92ºC earlier - a tip to anybody reading; DON'T do anything intensive with your MB / MBP in clamshell mode, it can't cool down properly!

10. r76h23h78 macrumors newbie

Some YouTube videos are encoded with H.264 which is why your computer doesn't get hot when playing them. All Macs have the CPU kick up when playing flash.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My SR MacBook runs 20° cooler than my Core Duo MacBook Pro. Even when using the machine while charging the battery, the machine never gets more than warm. I could barely touch my MBP when charging the battery and using the machine.

12. macphwoar macrumors newbie

yes. i think that's normal. mine does the same thing. :)

idle: ~61˚C
    load: up to 85˚C

I was reading this yesterday and was thinking to my self - if the MacBook thermal paste is anything like in the MBP ( look here ).. we might be able to do something to lower the temp significantly by reapplying TIM

the only thing that's making me thinking twice to find out .. is the fact that i'm gonna sell my MB as soon as the new MBP comes out!

so if there's anyone who's thinking of doing this? :D

13. tip macrumors 6502

tip

A lot of CD/C2D machines get hot, regardless of brand. I have a Sony Vaio that's just as hot as my MBP.

14. macphwoar macrumors newbie

umm.. 49˚C is the lowest i get for the cpu. .. running smcFanControl 2.1.2 @ 6200 rpm with no load for 5 mins.

Attached Files:

15. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

:/

[​IMG]

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

39°C idle on my MacBook. No fan speed adjustment (1798 RMP).

17. macphwoar macrumors newbie

how did you guys manage to run so cool?

please tell us which version macbook you guys are running?

mine's ver 2.1. Bought it brand new last year March. come to think of it.. it didn't seem to run this hot back then.. :eek: might be becoz of dust ?
    what do you reckon?

PS: ambient room temp ~22˚C. on wooden desk.

PPS: take a look. Just put in an order for Arctic Silver 5 & ArctiClean + 2 aerosal cans. If the MBP doesn't come out tomorrow... I'm ripping this thing apart.

18. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Don't forget that the ambient room temperature and the surface that you have your MacBook will make a significant difference to the MacBook's temperature.

A MacBook on a granite table in an unheated basement will run much cooler than one snuggled up in bed with fuzzy blankets. :)

19. chrisgohcs thread starter macrumors member

chrisgohcs

yeah its really annoying to know ur laptop gets so hot by just watching a short clip. anyway guys,the fan control application,i mean is it safe to alter the fan speed? any side effects?

20. twombles62 macrumors member

I've booted my fan speed up to 3500, and i've seen at least a 5 C drop. It will take 5-10 minutes off battery life, but it's worth it.