Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
I was wondering if the mac pro cards are supported for the GPU acceleration in Acrobat /Reader? my acrobat 7 does not give the checkbox, but I tied reader 9 and it also does not have the checkbox option...from what I have read if its supported it will give you a checkbox option. :confused:

bigus7674

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2005
GPU support...windows only?

Here is the link directly from Adobe's website:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333447

I also found another article:

Adobe has released its first version of Acrobat Reader that supports acceleration from a graphics processor.

This is a boon for users of the software utility, as it is an infamously slow application. Whether simply opening a document or turning the page, even when part of it is pre-loaded into memory when the operating system boots, it tends to take its damn sweet time.

Adobe says the GPU acceleration will help in the areas of "... page display, zooming, and panning within PDF files." It also says the GPU support increases performance "... when viewing graphics-intense PDF files, such as 3D content."

You can download the newly stream-processing-capable application from Adobe's website.

When the application is run, Acrobat Reader checks your video card for supported properties. If it detects a card with Shader Model 3 support and at least 128MB of memory, you're given the option to enable GPU acceleration.

To kick it on, hit the edit menu, and click on preferences, select the 'Page Display' option and under the 'Rendering' section you should see a check-box titled 'Use 2D GPU acceleration.' Well don't just stare at it, tick it.

If the check-box option is there, but greyed-out, you'll need to update your graphics card's drivers to the latest version, as it will support stream computing. If it's not there, your video card can't handle GPU stream processing.

*NOTE* I'm wondering if this is just for Windows-only for this version, but the version with CS4 will be both Mac and Windows(????)

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks for the info, I saw that sheet but didn't catch that it had PC for the spec sheet. I'll have to call an adobe person to verify their is GPU acceleration in v8/9 . I woulnt mind getting an 8800GT if thats the case. Some of the print ready pdf's at work bring acrobat to its knee's on the imac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.