Does Mail App Download Emails?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ElliottG, Oct 15, 2013.

1. ElliottG, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

ElliottG macrumors member

Hey guys

I'm thinking of switching my Gmail over to the Mail app in OSX, but I really don't want an app that downloads all of my emails...would prefer one that just syncs over the network instead.

Does the OSX Mail app download your emails or just reads them from the server? ie. Is this app like Thunderbird and Outlook for Windows, or does it work over the server only?

Thanks,
    Elliott

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

Nearly all local email applications download emails to your device – Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS. Thunderbird and Outlook download your emails to your machine.

If you're referring to IMAP functionality – where deleting an email on your Mac will also delete it from the server – OS X mail and GMail do indeed allow for that.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. ElliottG thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, and no I was not referring to IMAP functionality.

5. takeshi74, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

You need to clarify what you mean. Thunderbird and Outlook can download or sync depending on the type of account. For POP accounts, clients have to download. Accounts such as IMAP sync.

As far as I can tell, Mail for ML supports POP, IMAP, Exchange IMAP & Exchange 2007 EWS.

6. ElliottG thread starter macrumors member

Oh...maybe I was confused at the definition of IMAP...

I am using Gmail...basically what I wanted to know is if I use Gmail with OSX Mail, will it download all of my emails from the server onto my computer, or will it keep them on the server and just communicate with the server for sending/receiving?

I believe IMAP does the latter, right?

Thanks,
    Elliott

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A default IMAP setup will mirror in the client whatever is on the server, unless you have a way to control that through settings on the server... and GMail does.

Go to the GMail.com page and in your setting you can uncheck labels (folders) you do not want mirrored in IMAP. There is also a setting there to limit IMAP sync to the most recent 1,000 ... 5,000 etc messages.

8. ElliottG thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I was hoping that Mail would just act as a nicer interface to talk to Gmail directly instead of downloading all the emails...I put in my account credentials and it imported 150mb of messages to my computer...would rather not have my emails taking up space even though it's only 150mb...

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

This is identical behaviour to Outlook, Thunderbird, you name it. Local clients store local copies of the messages for offline viewing.

There's no point having a local client that just acts as an interface to the web version – just use the web version!

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You can tell Apple Mail what to cache. See Mail Preferences, Accounts, Advanced, "Keep copies of messages for offline viewing:".

A.

11. ElliottG thread starter macrumors member

True...but I didn't know that when I made this thread and that was my OP.

Thanks.