Does Mail load faster on the 3GS iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigdaddymac, Jun 20, 2009.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I have a 2G phone, considering upgrading. My big beef with the 2G phone is how long it takes for Mail to load. It seems like I get the email headings, but do actually see the contents of messages, it can take some time, and the "Loading" screen appears for far too long.

For new 3GS users, does Mail load faster?

2. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

yes

...everything loads faster...including mail

3. pintnight macrumors 6502

Mail will load faster on a 3G network than on EDGE network. So, a 3G or 3GS will be faster.

4. ceehjayem macrumors regular

It's night and day man. You'll notice a HUGE difference in load up time.

5. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Can you be more specific? Are you still seeing the "Loading...." when mail first comes in? If so, for how long?

Or does mail just come in and download immediately? Does the content of new messages appear immediately (like they did on my old blackberry)?

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Everything is faster coming from a 2G to 3GS. The best indicator is the google app, which used to take a long time to be ready for my input. Takes just a few seconds now.

7. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Mail is blazing fast. I am a heavy mail user on my phone and I can't tell you how many times my 3G S has made me wow over the speed.

8. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Mail is one of the places 3G S really shines. It just screams. I can whip in and out if any of my 4 different accounts as fast as I can tap the buttons.

Also, it doesn't seem to bog down the entire phone after you leave mail like on the 3G.

I used to have to use Free Memory as rule after everytime I opened mail, just to get my iPhone back to a usable state.

Today I uninstalled Free Memory. I won't be needing it anymore.

9. timmciglobal macrumors member

It really is an amazing difference. I was used to clicking next and waiting a few seconds for it to load and now its just nearly instant.

Very impressive.

Tim

10. pintnight macrumors 6502

The only "long" part is authenticating to the server due to SSL handshake and then logging into the server. I only said "long" because it may seems long, but it's only about 15 seconds and might be longer due to how busy the server is. Once that's done, everything comes down pretty fast on my 3G.

11. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, so there's still a delay of 15 seconds before logging into mail? That is surprising. Why do I not see that on a blackberry, with the same email accounts?

Are other new 3GS users seeing that 15 second delay with mail, as well?

12. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I think you're confused. The iPhone is not a push phone like blackberries are. Blackberries get email instantly. The mail APPLICATION loads extremely fast on the iPhone 3GS. How long it takes the receive NEW mail once you're in the program is close to the same. Understand?

13. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Right, well, the iPhone can be a Push phone, I suppose, if you have Exchange or Yahoo.
    In any event, while I realize the mail application can open quickly, I'm most concerned with how long it takes to actually receive the mail. Is there actually a 15 second delay?

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Since when, would the newest iPhone have email that loads slower???:eek::eek::eek:

15. f00f macrumors 65816

CPU limitations and quirks set aside, the mail app, like any network app, is going to depend primarily on the speed of the network it's running on and the amount of data it needs to pull down. For a given set of mail, going from 2G to 3G is an upgrade in network speed and by virtue of this alone mail will work faster. Will it be instantaneous? Depends. If you set mail up for "pushing" (i.e. an Exchange account), for the most part new mails will be sitting there waiting for you to read them when u open the app. If you set up Fetch, depending on your fetch interval you will have to do minimal manual fetching. Now, if you refresh manually by hitting that little icon in the lower left of the mail screen, you'll have to sit there and watch the mail app go through the cycle of connecting, authenticating, checking for mail, downloading, and disconnecting. Again this is going to depend primarily on the speed of the network, and yes 3G is faster than 2G. :D How much faster? Experiment and see for yourself, if you have access to a 3G phone.

Yes the CPU is also a factor and since the 3G S is faster than the previous iPhones it should feel "snappier", but the bottleneck is going to be the network in most cases.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure Blackberries utilize the "push" method or similar.

16. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Not with push. Since all blackberries are push, they don't have a delay. On push on the iPhone, there is no delay. On normal accounts, yes, it takes about 15 seconds to get mail that hasn't been received yet in its normal polling operations.

17. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I can't believe the 3GS still takes 15 seconds to retrieve mail. I thought for sure it would retrieve/load mail much faster than that.

18. mark34 macrumors 6502a

?? With Exchange.. no delay. just as instant as a Blackberry

19. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Yea, I know. Exchange, yahoo, and MobileMe push. Everything else does not and the phone needs to do the whole polling operation.

20. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

I have just upgraded from the 2G. It is a 'no brainer'. Everything is faster, camera app used to take an age to open and people would walk away during a photo the shutter is that slow!

If you have the cash, make the splash. :D

21. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Something I might appreciate in the first week or so but quickly forget.

22. mb2008 macrumors regular

Well, I have a 3Gs, even though i don't get 3G service at home. I turned off wifi to get a good comparison. The email on EDGE is faster on the 3Gs, it takes almost as long to connect, but after connecting it loads ALL of the messages in a blink, instead of one at a time or blocks of 2 or 3. So, even if you don't have 3G service, the email is much faster. As far as loading the message, it seems faster, but it still takes forever to load pdf attachments.

Syncing to the PC is still killing me, though.

23. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Yes, but tasks are still able to be accomplished far faster, regardless of whether you get acclimated to the increased speed.

24. xxshawnxx macrumors member

Not sure why your synching is slow. I've used 21gig's on my 3GS and it only takes about 2-3 minutes to backup/sync to itunes.

OP- More important than checking for mail and downloading new mail, maneuvering, writing, saving, and sending the mail is much faster as well.

25. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

I also upgraded from the original iPhone, and I am seriously loving the huge speed bump throughout on the 3GS. But nowhere do I appreciate it more than in Mail. Mail was my biggest (and almost ONLY) complaint on the 2G, but on this new one I haven't had any problems yet. Mail is suddenly fast and beautiful.