Does mail update by itself? (sorry for the stupid question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soulweaponry, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

New mac user here. When i boot up my macbook pro, does the mail refresh/notification happen or do i have to open mail and leave it open in the background to be notified?

2. MrCheeto, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012

MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Mail must be running, but it doesn't have to be "open".

With Macs, open and running are two different things. Safari is open when you have a window open, but it's running even after you close the window. You have to quit it in order to stop it from running.

Therefore, if you run Mail and leave it open or close it, it will update itself. If you quit it, it will stop updating itself. I leave Mail running in full screen in Lion, which gives it its own window.

Finally, all applications on OS X can be configured by clicking it's name in the Menu bar when it's running and clicking Preferences. You can choose how often Mail updates via these settings.

Here are my apps running in their individual windows in Mission Control:
    [​IMG]

If you prefer to run the apps without a window open, but are confused as to which are running, right click the Dock and go to Dock Preferences. Check the box at the bottom of this window for indicators:
    [​IMG]

Finally, if you want Mail to begin running upon login/startup, just right-click it's icon in the Dock and choose Options>Open at Login

3. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

iDecker: that was exactly the response i was hoping for. Thank you. Now i've got mail checked to open on startup, but is there anyway i can have it just running on startup so when i boot up my mac, the mail window isn't open? I'd just like it running in the background.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Go to System Preferences>Users & Groups and click the Login Items tab.

Next to each login item is a check box. The checkbox column is labeled Hide. You do the math. You have sixty-seconds.

[​IMG]

5. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

Done and done. Doing it made me wonder what iTuneshelper was and why it's set to stay on all the time. Sounds like something that should only be on when iTunes is opened

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It's intended to automatically access iDevices when they're plugged into USB. Don't bother disabling this, it doesn't seem to cause any issues.

7. RyanMacm macrumors member

RyanMacm

this taught me a lot. i'm a new mac user as well. is your 13" the baseline? mine is :) my mail issue is that it doesn't have the numbers in red that shows how many emails you have that came in. anyone can fix this for me? been asking around but it's not fixed.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

This happened to me once.

First, check Preferences>General.

[​IMG]

Configure the "Dock Unread Count" to reflect whichever mailbox you wish to see notifications for.

Second, if it doesn't change after quitting and restarting Mail, quit Mail and remove it's icon from the Dock. Then add it back and start it again.

9. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'll take that as a compliment.

I've been homeless since around the time of my last post and just settled into a nice little place with 30MB download that's centrally located in Dallas. Business is great here! Saturday is already booked for me! I love my work! Now I'll have time to write again!

Hate to thread-jack, but does anybody know of an app where-in I can create a blog post in a WYSIWYG format, then translate it into HTML? Typing <br /> and   can get tiring in no time...

11. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

It was! Maybe i'm just used to asking questions and getting half assed answers or "just google it", but getting your responses felt like the person on the other end knew what they were talking about and reading your blog just confirmed it all the more. Right now i'm reading "common problems booting your mac: getting over the panic attacks". Good stuff!

Sorry about the homeless situation. I've been there. Taught me how to build better forts out of boxes, so i try to be positive about it and feel like i learned something. If anything, empathy towards others. Good to hear you're in a place. Now you can update that damn blog and i can post comments looking for tech support!

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Soulweaponry, just a heads-up, my latest posting is up on my blog :D

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wordpress does this automatically, so does blogger. So does pretty much every other blogging platform.

14. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Thanks for the information, but I had frustrations with Wordpress similar to my frustration with Windows.
    Rather than having to learn a foreign language to give my order at McDonald's, I'd just live in a place where the words "pickles" and "pico" are not homonymous. I'm arrogant like that.

I'm really just looking for a single app that will neatly translate rich formatted text into HTML.

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This suggests you haven't ever tried Wordpress or blogger. You don't need to know anything (not even HTML) to run a blog on those platforms.

Anyways...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ric....,cf.osb&fp=d798192905be6f96&biw=1179&bih=723

16. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Works for me, for now.

I did have a Wordpress blog. In fact, it's likely still out there, but I gave up on it due to the headaches with formatting and adding pictures and *pukes*... I'd rather not go on. The recollections are nauseating by their own.