Does making my MacBook Pro go to sleep repeatedly harm it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caspersoong, Dec 23, 2011.

1. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

Maybe just paranoid... Since sleeping (it is all safe sleep now, right?) the Mac writes all all the contents of the RAM to HDD (correct me if I am wrong), does making it sleep repeatedly harm the Mac in any way? Does this massive writing of data harm the hard drive? When I move my MacBook Pro from my position at a chair to a table, is it better to put it to sleep and wake it up once I reach the table, or just carry it with care to avoid sudden movements? Sorry, because I have really little knowledge regarding this. Thanks for your replies.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not in the slightest. It's designed for such use. You can carry it carefully and the Sudden Motion Sensor will protect the hard drive from sudden jarring.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Nope, you can put it to sleep and move it all you want.

I basically never shut off my 12" PowerBook G4 from 2004. It never failed on me, and I've continued the same attitude towards my last MacBook Pro, and this one, and I have not had the computer fail on me.

If you're carrying your computer, you can ether keep it open or put it to sleep. Macs feature a sudden motion sensor, which stops the hard drive's rotation if it detects too much shock, so you're safe in terms of this.