Does Matlab 2012a work with Mountain Lion?

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
So I upgraded to ML from SL and I'm pretty annoyed to discover my Matlab r2010 no longer works, so I guess I'll have to upgrade. I checked the mathworks store and it says under the system requirements that Matlab r2012a works with Lion, there is no mention of Mountain Lion.

My question is does anyone have it? Someone must know if it works, I've searched but can't find a concrete answer. I'm also quite annoyed to discover that Mathworks don't even offer an upgrade option for previous customers. I have to pay full price again to get the latest version... a discounted upgrade option would have been nice since the software is pretty darn expensive.

Meanwhile my friends pirate it and laugh at my inconvenience... not much incentive to pay for software is there. :(

solarmist

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
I'm using 2012a on Mountain Lion and it works fine. Yeah, I had to upgrade earlier this year when I found out Lion didn't support 2010a.

Rocky244

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
So I upgraded to ML from SL and I'm pretty annoyed to discover my Matlab r2010 no longer works, so I guess I'll have to upgrade. I checked the mathworks store and it says under the system requirements that Matlab r2012a works with Lion, there is no mention of Mountain Lion.

My question is does anyone have it? Someone must know if it works, I've searched but can't find a concrete answer. I'm also quite annoyed to discover that Mathworks don't even offer an upgrade option for previous customers. I have to pay full price again to get the latest version... a discounted upgrade option would have been nice since the software is pretty darn expensive.

Meanwhile my friends pirate it and laugh at my inconvenience... not much incentive to pay for software is there. :(
I'm using it, although I got an error, something about not having x11 installed anymore. I guess ML doesn't ship with it.

It might've been one of my specific interfaces though, but I just had to install another app real quick and I was back online.

moviebiz

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
I'm using it, although I got an error, something about not having x11 installed anymore. I guess ML doesn't ship with it.

It might've been one of my specific interfaces though, but I just had to install another app real quick and I was back online.
xQuartz needs to be installed since Apple no longer bundles x11 with Mac OS X 10.8.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
2012a is working on my 2010 macbook air since I upgraded to ML (had to reinstall x11), but 2009b no longer works (which is a shame because one of the main toolkits in my field only works on 32bit versions of MATLAB).

kk2628

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Mathlab TRTH

Hi,

Thanks for the info as I just wanted to upgrade to ML and Mathlab will be the incoming application that I am going to use.

BTW, does any know that what is the subscription rate to use the Thomson Reuters Tick History data feed ?

Thanks

santaliqueur

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
I used to pirate software until I got a job. Then, I happily pay for quality software.

Incidentally, Mathworks' corporate headquarters is less than 5 minutes from here. They are building a huge new wing of their campus, looks like they are expanding.

Sneipen92

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Hello there

So I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and now I can't open MatLab r2011a. This is perhaps the worst timing because I have my mid-term in programming tomorrow. At first when i launched Matlab I was told to download x11, so Apple redirects me to this site and i download a program called XQuartz. After installation Im told to "log off and on and make x11 default something". How do I do this? When I launch XQuartz it's just an empty notebook asking for commands.

Again this is really urgent I would really appriciate if someone took the time to explain how I fix this!