Does matte or glossy affect the sharpness of text?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slapple, Oct 14, 2010.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I know there's tons of matte vs glossy threads, but I've never seen one discuss how matte or glossy screens might affect the sharpness of text.

I was at an Apple store today, comparing matte and glossy screens on the MBPs. I started looking closely at the text in Safari, and it looked like the text on the matte 1680x1050 screen was a bit sharper than the text on the glossy 1440x900 screen. Of course, the text on the glossy 1440x900 screen was a bit larger than on the matte 1680x1050 screen, so I adjusted for that by hitting Command + on the 1680x1050 MBP to enlarge the text. With the text both at the same size, the matte 1680x1050 MBP still looked a bit sharper than the glossy 1440x900. Has anyone else noticed matte screens having sharper text than glossy screens?

2. The General macrumors 601

No. None of the screen options affect text sharpness.

Computer monitor resolutions are /not/ like retina displays on iPhone 4. More resolution doesn't make anything sharper (well, except for video full screen given that the resolution of the video exceeds the resolution of the monitor), it just makes it smaller, and since it's smaller you, you have more "space" to work with.