Does MBP have to be on Time Capsule Wifo Network to TM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LarryJoe33, Aug 13, 2017.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

I just bought a TC off eBay. I plan to plug this into my Xfinity Router which already has awesome wifi. I will create the Airport wifi network using the utility. To use TM to wirelessly back up (yes I will plug it in via ethernet for the first one), to I need my MBP to be on the Airport/TC wifi network? I would assume so, but since it is connected to my router maybe not?

EDIT - sorry for the subject typo. Wish you could edit that.

2. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

It should be enough that both the time capsule and MBP are on the same network, I.e. Your router's wifi. I don't think you need to setup a wifi network from the time capsule at all.

3. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I probably will give the Airport functionality a name and set it up unless there is a downside. (Such as having too many wireless networks in the house and having them conflict)

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I’ve got the WiFi on my TC turned off and it works just fine through my router.

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

My setup had my tc connected via Ethernet to my AirPort Extreme, which was the wireless router for the house. The TC wasn't broadcasting a wifi network, although I think I had it set to extend the AE network as I was using the other Ethernet ports on the TC to connect my PC and NAS to the house network.

6. LarryJoe33, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Ok thanks, that answers my question on whether my MBP can just continue to be on my Xfinity wifi network and still see the TC.

So do you guys recommend I shut the wifi off on the TC if my Xfinity wifi is superior? If they both are active will it interfere?

Just to clear, right now I have Xfinity wifi 5ghz and Xfinity wifi 2.4ghz. I had intended to set up the TC wifi broadcast as well. Do you see any issues with the two routers being plugged into each other and next to each other?

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I would stick with whichever wifi is best. Your MBP can only connect to one wifi network at a time and your TC can only extend another Apple Wifi network.

You're probably going to find it simplest using just the Xfinity wifi.

8. LarryJoe33, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017

LarryJoe33

Me too as this router was just upgraded last week and is the newest technology. It screams. The TC/Airport is 4 years old I think? I just want to know if it will be an issue to setup just to have another signal. I have read really old posts that said something about having the same IP and conflicting. I am no expert on network configuration.

Also, should I plug my iMac directly into the TC ethernet port? (remove from Xfinity router).

9. LarryJoe33, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

LarryJoe33

Got my 4th generation TC and hooked it up. Everything is playing nicely together - TC wifi and xfinity wifi both enabled for now and both returning similar speeds (110 mbps). All good for now.

EDIT: First TM backup of 120GB over xfinity wifi completed successfully.