Does MBP screen replacement come with longer display cable?

groxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
I recently got the screen replaced on my 2017 15' MBP due to display issues. I was wondering if the new display comes with a longer display cable that won't be prone to flexgate? Considering how big of a defect the short cable is, it would make a lot of sense.

F23

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2014
Probably not, they aren't even replacing old keyboards with the new membrane one.
[doublepost=1554690849][/doublepost]Probably not, they aren't even replacing old keyboards with the new membrane one.

LogicalApex

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
I recently got the screen replaced on my 2017 15' MBP due to display issues. I was wondering if the new display comes with a longer display cable that won't be prone to flexgate? Considering how big of a defect the short cable is, it would make a lot of sense.
It all depends on where the priority lies. Currently, we don't mandate companies actually fix problems unless they pose a safety risk. Companies offer short limited warranties where they promise to repair a defect during that warranty period. These fixes can, and usually, are replacements for the broken part without a redesign. Companies will tend to redesign parts when they have a longer product lifecycle and the cost of re-engineering can be carried forward. Especially since there is no guarantees that the "fix" won't have cascading effects by causing another defect which results in the need for yet another "fix" and so on.

For products like these manufacturers will replace the part with the same broken part ad nauseam and if the user has enough repairs they'll swap them out to a newer machine which may (or may not) have a fix. Re-engineering would be the right thing to do morally, but corporations are amoral and they act in their best interest. They are abiding by the contract and not doing anything illegal or wrong.

If your BMW transmission breaks you can bet BMW will give you another transmission built to the same specifications. If that transmission design is faulty you'll see its fix in the new transmission spec, but your car will always get the same transmission built for its spec ad nauseam. That's why lemon laws were added for cars. They force the manufacturer to buy the car back in certain cases as it is understood that reengineering the existing model is unrealistic.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
ask ifixit it if they'd be interested in disassembling your laptop and measuring it for comparison. would be extremely useful information.

W1cH099

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2019
Guatemala
from what I've seen in other post the cable on the new displays is actually longer in most cases but im not 100% sure

Reactions: groxx