Does Me.com open the door to other Apple apps online?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barnaby117, Jun 10, 2008.

1. barnaby117 macrumors member

barnaby117

Just taking a quick glance at the interface... wouldn't iWork apps look gorgeous online? I love Google Docs, but to have the feature set of Pages or Numbers online would be very cool. Any thoughts?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Probably not feature-complete, at least at first, but I can definitely see them doing an online iWork suite, possibly others. They'll wait to see how MobileMe pans out first, but it's probably already in development.

jW

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I don't think you can expect a webapp to have comprehensive functions like local apps do.

And it doesn't make sense to pay subscriptions all the time for stuff works not as good as local ones.

Its might be convenient for the mass if its free tho.

4. Trip.Tucker Guest

Then you're sadly ignorant of the capabilities of web apps.

5. wattso macrumors regular

I had just been thinking about this myself:) I think online iWork apps are very do-able and likely to appear at some point (I hope).

I see online OS's as the future. Your computer is simply a very cheap and low specced terminal to access the internet. Everyone simply logs into their personal desktop in which every file and application is stored on a server. This would mean cheap hardware and its always the 'same' computer no matter where you login / what hardware you use.

You heard it here first folks :D
    ;)

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ignorant? capability of web app?

do you know how to discuss civilly?

7. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I would really love this feature. I think you should be an owner of iWork in order to use it though. If I have an iwork document, it would be nice to put that on my iDisk and open it wherever I want without having to download it.

At my university, we are not allowed to download or copy files to the mac computers, so I have to always remember to keep an updated version on my flash drive. It becomes a pain sometimes.

8. barnaby117 thread starter macrumors member

barnaby117

Here's what Cringely has to say

Check what "I, Cringely" had to say about iWork web apps!

9. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I was thinking about this the other day as well. Though at the time I was expecting a sort of iWeb 'lite' that would allow you to post blog entries from any computer. A mobile version of iWork would be great as well.

Apple seems to have developed a nice portal with Mobile Me in which they can deploy new web apps. I just hope they follow through.

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Rather harsh comment (even by my standards) but I have to agree with clevin, and I DO WEB APPS for a living.

The tight integration with iLife is a big feature in iWork. That feature would compromise security if it were even possible to create in a web app. It would psuedo do it, but wouldn't be as 'comprehensive' as the person your responded to, put it.

Google has some online document applications, there are very elaborate text editors (MR one is similar though we're given above basic privies) but the seemless interaction, speed, etc wouldn't be as good if they were ported to web.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I for one agree it's not something people are willing to split up performance, interaction, interface with portability.

11. MacAddict1.0.1 macrumors newbie

MacAddict1.0.1

proof that mobile me existed before the keynote

[​IMG] i found this on june 2nd i was gone for a week in africa i came back a found out what that was. :D :apple: