Does Memoji signal a cheaper iPhone with TrueDepth camera is coming?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Rogifan, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I don’t remember anywhere in the keynote where Craig Federighi reminded people that Memoji only works with the iPhone X. It does say so on Apple’s website but how many people go there to get details? I expect Memoji will be very popular, I’m already seeing tons of people’s Memoji’s on instagram. But I doubt many kids or teens are rocking an iPhone X. I can see there being a lot of disappointed teens thinking this will work with their older device and finding out it doesn’t. And I don’t think parents are going to rush to buy a $999 X for their kids. Perhaps this signals a cheaper iPhone that will support these features is coming?

2. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I think that is very likely all new 2018 iPhones support it.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

There's always some parents who'll shell out a grand a phone each for their kids. A cheaper iPhone will drive sales for parents wanting to get their kid an iPhone but aren't keen on dropping $700 for an iPhone that may be destroyed or lost. The cost will still be "steep" but it won't be Android, and that's all they care about.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Agreed. The question is do we get a 3rd iPhone that is cheaper or is it just the new X and X Plus?

5. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Seems to be a lot of rumors about 3. Makes sense to me.

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

And hopefully a redesigned iPhone SE early next year. Would love to see a higher end model there.