Does metadata take up "other"?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Roc P., Sep 27, 2012.

1. Roc P. macrumors regular

I noticed today that the yellow "Other" portion of my iPod Touch 4g is pretty high at 1.11GB - My Apps take about 200MB of "Documents & Data" so I am just wondering if Metadata accounts for the rest or would that be classified in the "Audio" portion?

It's also a little high in my opinion on my iPhone 4S - "Documents & Data" taken up by Apps again is about 200MB but there is 0 music on my iPhone (except 7 ringtones I made).

My iPad 2 makes a little more sense at about 500MB of "Documents & Data" being used by Apps I guess.

Where else does this "Other" come from and how do I get rid of it?

I cleared my Safari history and cookies plus deleted all text history prior to syncing my devices and taking these screenshots.

The attached photos from left to right are my iPod Touch 4g, iPhone 4S and iPad 2

Attached Files:

2. dchao macrumors 6502a

Others include email attachments, safari cache, PDF downloads, updates (iOS 6 ipsw file is 1gb !).

To clear it, do a complete restore.

3. Ozonekill macrumors newbie

A way to clear it I just found here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3418045?start=75&tstart=0

It is crucial that you follow all these steps in precise order:

you think it would delete all your music, but it doesn't

4. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I read the link you posted ozonekill and a lot of people had issues with that method so I dont feel comfortable trying it. I will either have to restore or deal with it.

5. Ozonekill, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Ozonekill macrumors newbie

I tried that method I posted. The music actually was still there but didn't play till I re-synced on the computer. It gave me 5 gigs back. Restoring gave me about the same but the "other" file grew back in a day. I'll post again if I have problems.

6. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm interesting. I decided to erase all content and settings and restore from my most recent iCloud backup. I only did this to my iPod Touch not my iPad or iPhone. Right now I am in the process of syncing all my music back. "Other" shrinked down to .44GB so thats cool I guess. Guess I'll see if it goes back up.

7. Ozonekill macrumors newbie

After coming back from the gym just now. I found many songs were still unplayable. Time to restore again.

8. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, sorry to hear that. After I re-synced my music then unplugged my iPod and plugged it back into iTunes, "Other" jumped up to .96GB

I stopped caring at this point.

9. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

What metadata are you asking about? Song metadata would be included in Audio, movie metadata would be included in Movies.

In iOS 6 do podcasts count as other? What about video taken from the camera but not in the video app? Just some thoughts.

10. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure. I meant Metadata for songs and Movies. I have no podcasts or movies in other locations.

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

MetaData for songs and movies should be included in their sizes, not the other category.