Does metallic case handicap the signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 25, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I understand Apple changed to plastic from aluminum for better reception. If so, covering the back with metallic case will hamper the reception??

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't think it will affect it that much unless the metal is the type that can be magnetized.

3. w3cum macrumors regular

I would think that any kind of metal, regardless of being able to be magnetized or not would act as shielding and reduce the reception of the phone. I have attached 2 pictures one inside and the other outside a faraday cage. which is made of copper which does not attract a magnet

Attached Files:

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Any metal will do. That's why aluminum siding will affect your cell and wi-fi reception. Metal reflects radio waves. That's why many satellite dishes are made from aluminum, lightweight and efficient. No steel involved there.

Keep in mind that, for a time about 6 years ago, GM was using a metallic coating on the inside of their windshields (Sungate solar coating). You couldn't use a dash-mounted GPS at all in the vehicles that had those. You got no signal.

5. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

this is why the new iphone is not metal like the 2g

6. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Anybody know if gogo-usa mirror series cases are metal? They sure look shiny like metal.

The website says polycarbonate, but they have same description for ALL cases and I wonder if they are late to change the description of mirror series.

7. vespoli macrumors member

I would venture to say that while this may be partly true, another portion was the cost. iPod Touches have metal backs and do not struggle to obtain a WiFi signal -- neither do the first-generation iPhones.

I'd say it's a mix.

8. dxta0 macrumors member

dxta0

That's because the black part on the iPod is were the wifi chip is at

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Back when the 3G was released, tear-downs showed that there are two antenna planes in the phone. One is at the bottom where the original iPhone antennas is located. The other at the top of the back of the 3G. Metal would block signal to the top. The Touch doesn't have a GPS nor cell antenna.

The iPod Touch isn't completely metal. You'll notice the top, right rear corner is plastic. There's the wi-fi antenna. On the first generation iPhones, both the cell and wifi are located at the bottom under the plastic. All this is verifiable online in tear-down pictures.

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Yeah, I didn't think I was right. :eek::p:D

11. dadudster macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I can put this discussion to rest as I can personally attest to the fact that the GoGo mirror series (silver) DOES, in fact, interfere with reception on the iPhone 3G and 3GS. In fact, it interferes with the reception to such an extent that the phone loses ALL reception when the case is on (from 4 bars to 0).

It is quite unfortunate because the case looks really cool.

I called GoGo and they are aware of the issue and they say it specifically affects their Silver and Platinum mirror series cases (but apparently not the gold).

12. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

It also effects the metallic cases by more.

13. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I can say with zero doubt the incase powerslider interferes, lithium is a metal I believe. Much as I wanted the double battery life, I can't even make a call with the case on, it destroys my 3g signal.

14. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I'm not doubting the claims that a metal case detracts from reception, but why do the aluminum MacBooks not suffer when it comes to wifi reception then?