Does Microsoft Office 2004 require activation?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbg232, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Quick question to users of Microsoft Office 2004: Did it require activation? If yes, is it all versions or just some? Lastly, does anyone think Office 2008 will require activation?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I don't remember an activation happening with 2004, you have to enter a license key but I think that was it.

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Does not require activation, but you get 3 license keys to enter on three different machines.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Office v.X did not require activation. All you had to do was to enter your serial number and you were set. With Office 2004 you enter the serial number and wait for the app to call home for an activation code. If it can't call home, then you must contact Microsoft for an activation code. I call that activation and have great difficulty understanding how anyone can think that it is anything but activation. Sure, you get more than one installation, but it is still a limit.

With the difficulty that Microsoft is having selling Office 2007, there is always the possibility that it will choose not to require activation of Office 2008. However, the smart money is on activation for 2008.