Does Microsoft Office 2011 store cd key on the machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by silverf1re, Jul 17, 2011.

1. silverf1re macrumors regular

Well the title sums it up. i have/lost my physical copy of mac office and do not want to purchase it again if I ever restore my mac. (Maybe clean install for lion) Anyways my office suit is currently active on my mac and I was wondering if there was any way to retrieve that cd key that is installed on my machine. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Yes and no. While you can technically move the folder over to a flash drive and then restore, then reload the folder back on, you cannot access the key directly. I DO NOT condone using this as a way to distribute the software. Keep it to 1 machine. I would, however, suggest finding the CD, especially because there will be less of a chance of something going wrong.

3. silverf1re thread starter macrumors regular

I understand ur position and i appreciate ur help. I'm kicking myself for losing it. I bought it from the book store for 20 bucks but they scan my I.D. And can't sell more than one license to a student. I know it's not an ideal way to "reinstall" it but I'm not buying it at full price :D I guess worst comes to worst I'll have someone else use their I.D. Thx again

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

IIRC the key isn't explicitly stored but the ID assiociated with that key should be in the about window and if you call support they should be able to look it up for you. But I'm not sure.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not call Microsoft and explain the situation, perhaps they'll provide a replacement set of discs for a small fee.