Does Microsoft own Apple?

dejo

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
15,981
450
The Centennial State
Another of those ongoing urban Microsoft/Apple myths.

From Wikipedia's Apple Computer page:
The company was struggling financially under then-CEO Gil Amelio when on August 6, 1997 Microsoft bought a $150 million non-voting share of the company as a result of a court settlement with Apple (Microsoft has since sold all Apple stock holdings).
 
Comment

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
1,355
1
Maine
Wow, that would be weird if they held enough stock in Apple to control them. Actually, it would be/is weird that they would/did hold any stock anyway.
 
Comment

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
571
0
Boise, ID
It is actually fairly good strategy for Microsoft to own Apple. If Apple starts gaining marketshare, it is not all bad news.
 
Comment

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
5,490
1
Mac since 7.5
mad jew said:
What do you mean quackattack? Could Apple benefit from being owned by Microsoft when they're doing well?
I think he means it is a good strategy for M$, not necessarily for Apple.
 
Comment

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
32,199
5
Adelaide, Australia
powermac666 said:
I think he means it is a good strategy for M$, not necessarily for Apple.

:::slaps head:::

Yeah, thanks. That makes sense. It's really way too early in the morning at the moment.



11:55AM... :eek:
 
Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
doctor pangloss said:
A friend of mine told me that microsoft owns controlling stock in Apple.
It this true?
Somehow it doesn't surprise me.
NO...

If they owned controlling stock in Apple, they would instantly lose any federal or state anti-trust lawsuit filed anywhere in the US and/or the world. ;)

Enough stock to obtain a seat on the board (probably around 5%) would likely also trigger severe anti-trust violations.

For MS it would be a very very bad thing, since they couldn't fight the claims that they are a OS monopoly very well, at that point it would be better if they buy Cuba and moved both companies down there where the political climate would be a little more liberal to that sort of idea.
 
Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
29
USA
Sun Baked said:
NO...

If they owned controlling stock in Apple, they would instantly lose any federal or state anti-trust lawsuit filed anywhere in the US and/or the world. ;)

Enough stock to obtain a seat on the board (probably around 5%) would likely also trigger severe anti-trust violations.

For MS it would be a very very bad thing, since they couldn't fight the claims that they are a OS monopoly very well, at that point it would be better if they buy Cuba and moved both companies down there where the political climate would be a little more liberal to that sort of idea.
Microsoft has already been determined to be an illegal monopoly. It is currently settling a withering array of third-party lawsuits based on that ruling. Microsoft's owning of Apple would not affect that situation one way or the other. But, to the point of Microsoft's or anyone else's purchasing of Apple, it hasn't happened and it ain't gonna happen. Apple is not for sale. People who spout such notions have no clue about Apple's ownership.
 
Comment

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,241
1
Washington D.C
MisterMe said:
Microsoft has already been determined to be an illegal monopoly.
I really do not see it an monopoly( in my eyes the law may say different) people have other choice just many do not know about it cuz they never look around.


I LOVE THAT GAME!
 
Comment

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
4,714
20
Russia
doctor pangloss said:
A friend of mine told me that microsoft owns controlling stock in Apple.
It this true?
Somehow it doesn't surprise me.
Lol if it was true, Apple would no longer be real 'Apple'

I'm glad its not true :)
 
Comment

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
571
0
Boise, ID
mad jew said:
:::slaps head:::

Yeah, thanks. That makes sense. It's really way too early in the morning at the moment.



11:55AM... :eek:
Glad you figured it out ;). Thanks to powermac for clarifing my post.

I agree with you guys that MS owning Apple is is unappealing thought. MS is in so much anti-trust trouble that owning Apple is really just a drop in the bucket.

Although if MS were to gain a significant portion of the power at Apple I'm sure we would hear plenty about it. Also I'm sure our computers would grow less and less appealing ;)
 
Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
zap2 said:
MisterMe said:
Microsoft has already been determined to be an illegal monopoly.
I really do not see it an monopoly( in my eyes the law may say different) people have other choice just many do not know about it cuz they never look around.

I LOVE THAT GAME!
They were trying to get MS broken up for some of their practices, but owning Apple would immediately trigger the anti-trust remedies that people are "trying" to trigger right now (without much luck) to break MS up into smaller parts.

We always see anti-trust working when companies are required to see off assets, business, etc. during mergers.

Usually a yes or no on regulatory approval for the merger, or they make you bring the merged company into compliance through sell offs.
 
Comment

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,454
0
This Macrumors post says that MS still owns its shares in Apple.

The two struck a deal under which Microsoft bought $150 million of Apple stock and promised to keep supplying Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer for the Mac, programs that made Apple's computers at least somewhat compatible with the PC world. (Microsoft's stake in Apple is now worth well over $1 billion.)
That post quoted an article written in Feb 2005
 
Comment

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
2,004
0
London, UK
That deal must be invalidated by now - they stopped producing IE for Mac well over a year ago... maybe even two by now...

Maybe I'm in a conspiracy-theory kind of mood, but as someone said - it would make sense for Microsoft if they did own Apple...

What if they do and noone knows it?! Imagine if all the computer companies in the world were actually the same one... Apple's just there for strange alternative people who like to break the mould... but in the end all the money goes straight back to.... CompuHyperGlobalMegaNet....
 
Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
29
USA
mac-er said:
This Macrumors post says that MS still owns its shares in Apple.

That post quoted an article written in Feb 2005
You should credit Brent Schendler of Fortune magazine, not the Macrumors repost. However, it is an opinion piece in a popular magazine, not a peer-reviewed history monograph. The Wikipedia page linked above is substantially more accurate. Wikipedia is correct that Microsoft sold its Apple stock. Schendler is probably correct that Microsoft's stake in Apple is now worth more than $1 billion. He just omitted the fact that Microsoft doesn't own it any more.
 
Comment

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
2,174
1
53132
MisterMe said:
...The Wikipedia page linked above is substantially more accurate. ...
That's a dangerous claim in these wiki times. There's a big arguement against Wikipedia (in particular) as to whether or not it can actually be used as a viable reference source. It's frowned upon by libraries everywhere, and many colleges won't accept Wiki articles as source material. They claim there really is no "official" fact-checking which can make it equally susceptable to accuracy or the product of collective ignorance. Saying that it's more accurate than Fortune is a bold claim. (Just thought I'd point that out)

Personally, I love Wikipedia. It is a much larger knowledge base than even the largest Encyclopedia. Wikipedia has over 500,000 articles in English (1.5 million in total) far more than the 2005 Encyclopedia-Brittainica which claims only 65,000 articles. I very frequently trust the accuracy of their articles. And to those who think about defacing Wikipedia, "an obscenity randomly inserted on Wikipedia is removed in 1.7 min., on average. Vandals might as well be spray-painting walls with disappearing ink."

My source material for this post was gleaned from the June 6, 2005 issue of TIME magazine, an article entitled "It's a Wiki, Wiki World"
 
Comment

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
869
0
Cleveland
Look everyone, at the time it made perfect sense for MS to "invest" in Apple. They were still in the midst of Apple suing them over the similarities of the OS. Fortunately for MS, Apple was going thru some tough times. Therefore a deal was struck. MS said to Apple, you drop/settle this lawsuit and we will provide you with some capital to continue your operations. MS did this knowing full well that they in fact need to have Apple in the market. If not they, IMO, would almost certainly face some sort of break up similar to AT&T.
The fact that MS may or may not still own shares of Apple means nothing. A controlling interest would require 51% of the stock. Thats not the case. The fact that MS no longer develops IE for the Mac also has no bearing.
The fact that MS' s investment of 150M is now worth over 1B is simply a testament to the growth and strength that Apple currently is enjoying.
 
Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
29
USA
mojohanna said:
Look everyone, at the time it made perfect sense for MS to "invest" in Apple. They were still in the midst of Apple suing them over the similarities of the OS. Fortunately for MS, Apple was going thru some tough times. Therefore a deal was struck. MS said to Apple, you drop/settle this lawsuit and we will provide you with some capital to continue your operations. MS did this knowing full well that they in fact need to have Apple in the market. If not they, IMO, would almost certainly face some sort of break up similar to AT&T.
....
Apple lost the look and feel suit against Microsoft long before this suit. The suit that resulted in the $150 million stock purchase had to do with QuickTime. Apple had caught Microsoft dead to rights. It is my understanding that Steve Jobs offered Microsoft a deal in which they would do business rather than fight. FWIW, people who can't do math have grossly overblown the financial importance Microsoft's stock purchase. At the time, Apple had $4 billion in cash. The M$ money was a drop in the bucket.
 
Comment

fox2005

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
88
0
Lima, Peru
eXan said:
Lol if it was true, Apple would no longer be real 'Apple'

I'm glad its not true :)
Funny to hear Billy Boy telling Stevo what to do:

B.G.: "Stevie, let some of those viruses in, they do magig for us"
S.J.: "Yes sir"
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.