does MINIDISPLAY PORT DVI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vong, Apr 17, 2010.

1. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. funwithamar macrumors regular

according to the the news that's going around the new ones will carry audio, but with a suitable dvi to hdmi adapter, by who or when these adapters will be available is not known .

4. sKiZZiT macrumors newbie

DVI cannot support audio by its own nature. HDMI does, but it depends on whether Apple enabled that via HDMI cable. I'm waiting to know of that too. Can someone confirm?

5. vong thread starter macrumors 6502a

vong

agrhhh, don't want the HDMI one lols. i want the offical apple stuff to look cooler(just somethin' i'd prefer >_>.) oh well looks like i have to get those audio stuff too. thanks guys :cool:

6. gatorfan787 macrumors newbie

The above poster is right that DVI will not carry audio; however the Mini DisplayPort found on the macs will easily convert not only to DVI, but also HDMI and as of this new release, if you get an HDMI adapter, it will in fact play audio. You can buy a mini displayport to HDMI adapter or cable from monoprice.com, amazon.com, or even the one in the use in the article I've linked below. This is the one that I've purchased. Notice it says it will carry audio as long as the device supports it, this disclaimer is because the previous generation macbook and macbook pro's did not support audio over the mini displayport. However the new ones do.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20002595-1.html