Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeeve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
Hi guys,

I'm planning on using SoftRAID to mirror my boot system drive. Softraid allows to ADD another mirrored drive (or more) to an already existing boot drive without the need to reformat anything. From what I've read, it seems this software works well. I don't have anymore PCI slots so a hardware RAID isn't an option for me.

So here are my questions:

1. After I add a mirror drive to my already existing boot drive, will this new configuration cause the volume ID to change, as if it were another drive? in other words, will I have to authorize a bunch of my plugins again because they will think I moved them to another system? Cloning a boot drive doesn't allow to use the same authorization for most plugins. Will the added mirrored drive have the same effect?

2. Say one of these drives fails, and after I replace the faulty drive with a new one, then the software rebuilds my mirror boot drive combo, will the ID change again, or will the current plugin auths still work?

I have so many plugins now, I can bear the idea of losing my boot drive because it takes me weeks to re-serialize my plugins. Half these plugin auths go by BOTH the drive ID AND the Logic Board ID, so reformatting or getting a new drive (or reverting to a previous system, clean reinstalling a system etc) is a nightmare for me. When my boot drive fails It's more worth the trouble for me to purchase another computer and gain the extra speed. I feel the mirrored boot drive is a great solution if I can keep replacing the drives when they fail, for a longer general system life... If the RAID keeps the same ID that is...

Has anyone tried this?

Jeeve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.