Does MMS need 3G/Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ouimetnick, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

As some of you may know, I now own iPhone 3G. When I use the messages app, I can send sms messages, but MMS MUST be turned off under settings. When I turn MMS on, I can send a regular text message or a txt message with a photo attached. I have called AT&T and they blocked data. Could this be the issue? See the screen shots.

Attached Files:

• MMS.jpg
      MMS.jpg
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
    • SMS.jpg
      SMS.jpg
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes, 3G/edge is needed as thats the celuular connection

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Theres always GSM/GPRS....

OP, do you not have EDGE or 3G in your area? I heard people saying you needed 3G...but that makes zero sense since while its slow you can browse over EDGE/GPRS...Do you even have GPRS though? I don't even see the "o" symbol....

4. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

If you have a data block on your line, you cannot send or receive MMS messages. A friend of mine has a Nokia smartphone with a data block through AT&T, and he has never been able to send or receive them.

BTW: How are you using your iPhone 3G without a data plan? I thought AT&T required it.

5. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I bought the iPhone 3G new for $499. Thats the full price. Then I stuck in my AT&T Pay As You Go Sim card, connected the phone to iTunes, and it unbricked it self. Then I'm on pre-paid.

AT&T can't put me on an iPhone data plan as there is no iPhone data plan for pre-paid users.

6. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

if you are going to use the iphone in an unofficially supported way you have no right to complain when all the features dont work

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

You need data for the MMS to work.....

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean they are complaining.

9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

You don't need to be on a iPhone data plan. You just need to have them activate a data plan. I'm not sure what plans they offer (or if they even offer a unlimited plan anymore).

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'll never understand why someone would look for reasons to be a prick like this. Does it make you feel empowered? Smarter? What?

Anyway. I'm in the same situation. I don't have a data plan because I CHOOSE not to. And no, AT&T doesn't require it because they haven't said a thing since they blocked my data for me.